1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony HD5 - Re-installing Windows

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Giant Rabbit, Sep 8, 2005.

1. Giant Rabbit

Giant Rabbit
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wish to reinstall Windows in the near future to solve a strange printer problem and was wondering whether, if I back up my library or not my HD5 will opearate fully with my new configuration. Do I have to adjust any settings or should it work just fine?

2. Giant Rabbit

Giant Rabbit
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Really need an answer on this before I proceed - can anyone help? Id hate to be in a situation where my HD5 wouldnt work on my reinstalled system. Also my Backup file is 7GB - is it okay if I split it over two discs and then paste the file into the hard-drive after reinstall - would i lose any music?

3. KeanosMagicHat

KeanosMagicHat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +554
    I would e-mail Sony about this and get it in writing from them first.

As SonicStage (stupidly) stores track information within the Windows registry this could be a risk.

4. Uridium

Uridium

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,858
    I'm planning to do the same in next few days (been meaning to rebuild machine for a while!)

Can't be doing with the SONY backup rubbish though so i just manually back up my MP3 library (i rip into 320k MP3 then convert to ATRAC3+ when I transfer to player) to a seperate external HDU and will then just do a clean install of SS onto rebuilt machine.

Then just leave it overnight to convert and transfer my 30Gb MP3 library back onto the player when I plug the player back in.

Works for me.

5. Sasso

Sasso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It will ddepend on whether or not your HD5 suffers from authorisation restriction. Eg, if you connect it to another computer will it say that you need to format it since its not the original computer?.....if it does then backup all your music.....or do what uridium said and back up the mp3s and transfer them again.
    My player doesnt ask me to format itself when i connect it to another computer, it just allows me to transfer additional songs to whats already on there....in that case just backup the mp3 files and you wont need to transfer them again.
    (I transfer songs from 2 different computers with no troubles and I havnt done any online registration or anything, this is what sony should have done to all of them, since i cant copy things off it anyway..even if its the original computer (it just deletes it from the player unless its already in the library, which you wouldnt need to transfer in that case))

6. sirlukas

sirlukas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    Haven't They solved the problem in SS3.2 :rolleyes: