1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony hd5 question. An easy one for anyone who owns it....

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by mike5622, Aug 22, 2005.

1. mike5622

mike5622
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok, mine just got delivered today. now...

the sliding flap thing on the top. should it have two bits of plastic attaching it to the main unit? mine only has one and it seems very flimsy. should there be one at either side?

thanks.

2. KiNeL

KiNeL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    No there is only one and I agree, it does not inspire confidence in longevity !

3. mike5622

mike5622
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    strange. it certainly looks like they've designed it for two! lets just hope the one they have put in is strong enought to keep the cover attached and it's not an issue in a few months time.

4. ak47wong

ak47wong
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    It's supposedly not an issue, so I understand. Be careful when you unplug things from the HD5 too. Once when I was trying to disconnect the USB cable, I inadvertently grasped not only the plug but the sliding flap as well and gave both a damn good tug when they wouldn't come out. Took me a few seconds to realise what I was doing, so the flap got quite a stretching there, but it seems to have survived :)

Andrew

5. DantheMan

DantheMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The thing is, on most daps you only get a thin bit of rubber or plastic covering the usb port. I always lost mine for my iPod/H10 anyway. I know its flimsy, and a slide off aluminium cover would have been nicer but to be honest if it comes off I don't care :D. Would expect more for £180 though.

6. KiNeL

KiNeL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    To be honest I'll be more surprised if mine DOESN'T fall off at some time but it won't be the end of the my world and not sure I'd make too much fuss about it. I've got a Sony shop in my town and I'd probably go there and stamp my feet but leave it at that. I need my music much too much to be without it whilst sending it away.

I echo your comment though and I would perhaps have expected more from Sony but we have to remember that they're selling in a highly competetive market which, like it or not is dominated by the iPod, and there's only so much price premium they can attach to the Sony name.

Incidentally, I was disappointed with the USB lead supplied, it's so stiff and horrible. Why when there are plenty of nicer more flexible ones around ?

Fortunately I've got one so their's has stayed in the box.

And as for those bloody great RF chokes on the charger..................now I'm ranting....lol

7. ak47wong

ak47wong
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    And it's so short!

Andrew

8. shirleywhite

shirleywhite

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    A quick word in defence of Sony (for once?!) Like most I originally thought "flimsy/broken?" re the usb cover. But realised it was designed that way. It's actually a lot tougher than it looks. And thinking about it - a very flexible cover would take knocks/pulls etc ( compare say a hard metal thing with hinges - a hard knock and it's broken off or bent?!). Final thought - sony put very similar cover on digital cameras - my DSC-P7 cover has worked fine for approx 3/4 years now!!
    PS Got a black HD5 - no button cracks still - about 4 months now!!

9. mike5622

mike5622
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well i'm inspired with a bit more confidence about it now. thanks :thumbsup:

10. IanPM

IanPM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I've tugged mine (oh err) and it seems like its very well secured. I don't think this will come off at all.