1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony HD5 - In Car Use

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by chassis, Sep 19, 2005.

1. chassis

chassis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone tell me how they connect their HD5 to their car stereo.

Is there a radio transmitter available which would do away with wires? What are the options?

2. sulk

sulk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To connect to car stereo you have a few options, depending on your stereo. First you can use a tape deck adapter, which plugs into the headphone port of the HD5, and then into the cassete player of your car stereo. Second you can get an FM transmitter, you should be able to pick this up wheredver they sell ipod acceseries, but just make sure you get one that gets power from batteries, and not from the ipod itself, because that wont work with the HD5. This takes the signal from the headphone port, and transmits it into an FM signal, then you just tune your stereo into the channel the transmitter is set to. Lastly, depending on your stereo it might have an auxilary input, in which you can connect from the headphone port of the hd5, to the inpt port of the auxilary. I know that its on Mini's but other then that, i dont know what cars/stereos have it. So you can get a tape adapter, fm transmitter(which uses batteries, not powered from ipod), or using the auxilary in put of your stereo if it has it. Lastly if you want, you might be able to get a lighter adapter to power the HD5, while its being used in the car, not sure where to get there, maybe sony store, or ebay.

-Sulk

3. chassis

chassis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    something like the ice>Link??

4. Kaledii

Kaledii

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Connects2, make a walkman adaptor that allows the connection of any Sony Walkman with a remote interface to be connected to Sony head units that support CD multichangers. I have one of these and I connect my Hi-MD unit to my Sony head unit. It allows you to control the walkman including changing album, track etc and also shows artist/track information in the display.

5. chassis

chassis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The unit is a Kenwood, it does support a Minidisc and cd changer...

I do not want to connect it via a lead unless i can find an appropriate cradle, as i do not suppose this would do any good for the line in/ headphone socket...

A transmitter would also make it more usable at home too etc..

6. KiNeL

KiNeL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Whatever you do you'll have to plug a lead into it, how else do you propose to connect to anything?

And what's the talk of line in?

There isn't one on the HD5 nor does it have a cradle.

Anyway, as it happens you're in luck because as you have a Kenwood head I can help you with a proper lead. If you're interested PM me.

7. chassis

chassis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    oops meant line out.. was in a hurry when posting!! :oops:

8. chassis

chassis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    BTW will the head unit be able to control the hd5 like when using a cd changer etc. or would you select tracks from the hd5 itself

9. KiNeL

KiNeL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Seems there is a cradle of sorts:

http://www.caraudioplus.co.uk/pp/Sony_NW-HD_Car_Adapters/Sony_NW-HD_Passive_Cradles/Sony_NW-HD5_Passive_Cradle.html

But it's just a holder and doesn't actually do anything.

The leads you would need for connecting with various head units are on this site also but I'm not sure what level of integration they provide with non Sony units, you'd have to ask. They're pretty expensive too.

The Kenwood lead I mentioned BTW simply ends in a jack plug for audio in, nothing else.

10. chassis

chassis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They are expensive when you consider we are talking about a wire!