Sony HD5 Emergency- Please Help

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by SilentLucidity, Mar 11, 2006.

1. SilentLucidity

SilentLucidity
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Today while connected to the latest version of SS, I tried to transfer the entire database from device to computer without much success I may add. The reason being that on the HD5 there is a folder which I can never see in SS Aduio Device (F:) pane.

Anyhow to cut a long story short after giving up I disconnected the device which is now saying that there is no database found. Cant see any of my music or even a single track. Even though I can see the entire device library in SS and even play tracks from it.

Luckily I have the entire OMGAudio folder backed up on my comp so I reintialised the HDD and then copied over the folder to the device using explorer. I can now see the music again in SS and am able to play it but when I disconnect I still get the message no database found.

Any help would be appreciated in resolving this issue.

thanks.

SL

2. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nice screen name - haven't heard that old rock track in years!

Here's the thing: you CAN'T copy tracks from the HD5 back to your PC, because of the way Sony has configured things. It's to stop piracy/file-swapping. Your best bet is simply to reinitialise your HD5 once more, copy your tracks across to your device again, then use the SS back-up tool to completely back-up your library. This will solve all your problems.

Incidentally, if you've removed the copy protection from all the tracks in your library (either be re-transcoding in exactly the same format and bitrate or by simply ensuring copy protection is switched off in SS before you rip CDs), then you'll never have this problem again. You can copy unprotected ATRAC files (and I'm guessing here that this is what you're using) to external media and then onto as many PCs as your needs demand. Copying these back onto your device through SS will then be possible any time, anywhere!

If it's MP3s you're trying to get off your device and onto your PC, do a search within this forum for a program called GYM which should help you.

3. SilentLucidity

SilentLucidity
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Thanks for the reply.

here is the problem: I use my home PC and my laptop to manage my music however because SS was always crashing my home Pc I removed it so all my music is now on HD5 with some of it on my laptop.

I dont even care about wanting to transfer back to laptop anymore. I would just like my HD5 to be useable again. As I said when I try to access anything on it , there is nothing. When I switch it on , it says repairing database but still nothing. If I connect it up to my laptop SS is able to see all the music on the HD5 and play it. Also I have the entire OMGaudio folder backed up on my laptop by way of straight copy.

Are you saying I have to transfer all my music from CD's again to make it work? There is no other way I can restore my OMGaudio folder back to device or repair the database which exists on the device?. The music is still there on device but I HD5 is unable to see it on it's own! Maybe a corrupt database?

thanks
    SL

4. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The short answer is 'get re-ripping'.

Sony's DRM (copy protection) is very good. To the extent that it paralyses attempts to do anything with the music you rip or transfer using SS to your HD5 if you make the mistake of not keeping an unprotected back up OR use the official back-up tool! Even cleaning your PC's registry can cause the OMG database to decide you're up to no good and render your tracks unusable.

So best advice is to re-rip, make sure copy protection is off, and back up unprotected tracks to external media, Then, your problems are over.

5. SilentLucidity

SilentLucidity
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Damnation, I hate sony with a passion that is holy..right now.