1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony HD5 - dust behind screen?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by David Mackenzie, Aug 14, 2005.

1. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    Hey there,

It MIGHT just be my screen cover, but I'm fairly sure dust and hair is slowly building up behind the screen on my HD5. Could this be bad design, with the dust entering the headphone jack at the top? Anyone else had this?

I'll try and get pictures sometime.

2. rigger123

rigger123
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I think your right about the dust entering through the headphone jack. I never unplug my headphones (yea i know im lazy lol) but my friend did religiously. His screen definately had dust behind the screen and it was 'thickest' near the jack and got less and less bad the further away from the jack you looked. Mine on the other hand is still dust free. (note both players in question were HD3's).

3. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You're kidding me? Not another damned HD5 irritation! :mad: :mad:

4. Sasso

Sasso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its definately not coming through the headphone jack, why would that lead to the screen? It is definately a BAD design, yes, another one.
    I announced this problem a while ago. (on the HD5 btw)

DUST gets through the GAP between the silver plastic part at the top and the red metal body. (The thing along the top with the headphone jack, hold button and usb/power cover). (Or appropriate colours).

On mine the top part is not flush with the metal body at all. The worst part is on the back on the corner where the headphone jack is, its separated about half a mm.
    The reason your dust is collecting near the headphone jack is probably because thats where the plastic separates more, hence the dust can get in easier.
    The problem is that there is no seal on the top plastic bit which allows anything small enough to get through onto the screen.

Easily tested, do this to prove it:
    Blow between the top plastic and the metal even if it looks sealed, then look at the screen straight away, you should see it fog up! then it will go away. THATS how dust get behind the screen!.....SONY!!!! AAGHHHH.

5. Sasso

Sasso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I thought i'd give a visual representation.
    See attached files.

In 'HD5 dust' the white spot at the bottom is a spec of dust UNDERneath the screen, and i cant figure out how to open up the player to clean it??? The gap (outlined in green), however small, still allows dust to enter under the screen.

In 'HD5 gap' the quite large gap is highlighted in green. Again im not sure how to open the player, so i can't figure out how to fix it and make it sit flush.

Obviously the pictures are magnified, the gap in the second pic and spec of dust in the first appear much larger than they are, but they are still very noticable when you look at it, even from a fair distance.

Attached Files:

6. Hrochnick

Hrochnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Wow, that's a really poor effort you've got there! Mine is much flusher with no kind of gap at all - I think I'd be wanting an exchange/refund if mine was like that.

7. L11

L11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Yea mines nothing like that at all.. if i blow in the non existant gap nothin happens..

8. Sasso

Sasso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Damn, thats why I want to know how to take it apart. Ill probably send it in just before I sell it, if i ever do.

Try blowing harder, mine doesn't always fog up, you have to get it right, and maybe its just some people's players, obviously those that found dust under the screen.

Anyone know how to take the HD5 apart easily, and without evidence?
    If sony can't do it properly then I'll have to.

9. KeanosMagicHat

KeanosMagicHat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +554
    I'd heard this gap mentioned by someone else on the forum and assumed we all had the problem, wrongly it seems :(

The gap on my player is much smaller than Sasso's and is localised underneath the hold switch on either side.

Another example of the shoddy workmanship / build quality of this unit.

10. alike

alike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have some dust under the screen on my hd3, but i dont see any gaps

11. ohms

ohms

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i opened the battery compartment and blew through that, and found the player to fog up on the bottom left of the screen...could get in there i guess....

12. johann1979

johann1979
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My HD5 doesn't seem to have a noticable gap at the top - it is fairly well constructed (considering...) - with a screenprotector and living in a proporta case it should last until the next HD comes out - but I won't rush out to get it like I did with the HD5 and my previous minidisc players which I could never wait for. I will watch this forum carefully and see whether Sony listened to the many complaints they received regarding the HD5 (with a problem being of course that they next HD would have been some way into production/design by the time the HD5 was released).

One thing is for sure; if Sony drops it's quality to the level of generic, house brands such as Alba, Bush or Goodmans (which apart from a funky design, the HD5 pretty much conforms to...) it will have disqualfied itself from the DAP race after the very first long distance round.

I would imagine (especially with iPod's considerable lead) that recovery would be very hard if not impossible. Sony must remember it built up a loyal fanbase over a series of decades. Sitting at the rather top end of consumer electronics, it provided consumers with both cutting edge style and innovative, reliable technology. Sony's products were known for their durability.

Sony seems to be destroying this confidence and loyalty it had built up among it's customers over a long period single-handedly and within record time. They have effectively stuck to fingers up to a huge percentage of their loyal fans and entered the martket of disposable electronics. My Sony-Ericsson K700i has been falling apart since month 3.

Some might call me pessimistic, but I believe that the HD5 was intentionally built into a flimsy case; it dents easily, the screen scratches when kept in it's felt pouch and it's all finished with cheap chromed plastic which will chip and scratch easily - all these factors combine to make your HD5 look aged and haggard just in time for their new offering. It is clear the HD5 was constructed from cheaper materials in order to drag it's overal price down, but cheaper chassis doesn't necessarily mean paper-thin alluminium or the softest polymer they could lay their hands on for the screen. I believe it IS possible to combine durability with cost saving.

If Sony is to plug up the £30+ million deficit in their finances reported this year, it is certainly going about the wrong way.

13. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,239
    Same here

Harsh but fair. And I think its the 2nd round at least

Yeah, my bro's K700i, the joystick thing doesn't respond properly.....

With me, their last chance is the PSP I'm getting on Sept 1st and the next HDx. But I will wait before buying my next DAP, to observe faults etc

Intentionally is so strong a word. They have obviously scrimped on materials since the solid HD1, and they do need to cut corners to save money. But send out a product that (they know?) will wear and tear easily?

2 years ago a new HD1 = £300. Now a HD5 = £180

Cheaper materials? Falling costs of DAP making?

I now think their main strategy is the DAP market and Playstation brand

A new HD DAP every six months? New flash line after a year? They're desperate for a foothold. In Jap, at least, flash players are making a impact

A PS3 that (seemingly) overpowers Xbox 360 to entice back people that bought a Xbox 'cos that overpowered a PS2

There's the PSP as well to help dent Nintendo's handheld market stranglehold, and (limited by MS) multimedia features to gain ground in video DAP market

14. johann1979

johann1979
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Funny that! It is my joystick that is not working too! Oh and two of my friends have the same issue... :)

15. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,239
    As far as I'm concerned Nokia and Samsung mobiles are the ones to go for now....

As for DAPs it is hard to get a player with features you want and good build, irrespective of HD failures that can happen to all HD DAPs

16. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Same happened on the T68i - joystick knackered in 6 months ... dust and dirt got beneath it.

17. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Absolutely ... with Samsung just ahead.

18. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sasso - that Evanescence you got on your screen?

19. IanPM

IanPM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I've got to say, anything with a screen on it will eventually manage to aquire dust.

20. ak47wong

ak47wong
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have a gap too, under the headphone jack, on the back :(

And yes, I also have dust in my screen - a black speck that is quite noticeable on the white "Walkman" startup/shutdown screen, though it isn't visible during normal use as I use the "negative" (black) screen.

Sasso, are you serious about taking your HD5 apart? What about the warranty?

Hey, check out this article about Samsung being the "new Sony"

Andrew

21. Sasso

Sasso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well done! :D I was waiting for somebody to say that.

AK47wong, I don't like the Idea of sending it to Sony for 2 months just to get screen cleaned, gap sealed and buttons fixed. But true I don't want to void the warranty, thats why I'd like to know if taking it apart leaves evidence. I took apart my old MD and it seems that there is nothing to tell that it has been opened, so Im hoping its the same for the HD5. I might send it in just before I sell it, so I can sell it for more. To buy an Ipod lol.

22. Sasso

Sasso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah...

"Sony denies its brand is in trouble; it claims highest top of mind and spontaneous awareness"
    What a load of *#E)(#$

"survey ranked Sony as the fourth most trusted brand in Australia"
    Not to me, anymore.

They're in real trouble, and they know it, but deny it.

23. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Getting back on thread here, no dust behind my screen, happily! Nor do I seem to have the gap near the top that might cause this. It is a bit wobbly, though, I'll give you that ...

24. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,239
    I'm getting a PSP soon.....god I hope I don't get dead pixels or dust behind that screen...shudder

and yes Sony are in trouble...a bit like Maccy D was before they brought out the salad options to lure health consious back

I'm noticing Sony will now have a vaio player, HD5 and 3 lines of flash player

This is a note to Sony, Creative and Samsung: More choice doesn't mean more sales!

Apple have 3 lines of players yet sell more than the above 3 combined!

25. dups45

dups45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is a problem my dad has on his Nokia 6310i phone, u cant remove the cover and thus he has loads of dust behind the screen

26. prateeko

prateeko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You guys realize that dust behind the screen is commonplace with electronics, right? The static caused by electronics (esp. by moving parts such as HDDs) attracts dust, and dust being as small as it is, will creep in. My DS has dust in it, my PSP had dust in it (works like a charm, btw), as does my iPod (I've had it for a year and a half now). All of my MiniDisc players now have dust in them (MZ-R50, R90, R900, and a Panny). Its going to happen, and there really is only one way to avoid it, a perfectly sealed display unit, but thats simply not practical (it happened with the GBA-SP, but that was a disaster because you could get dust trapped INSIDE the unit at the factory). I think you guys may be nitpicking here, unless of course you're getting dust to the point where its hard to read what the display is saying...

27. Sasso

Sasso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dust under the screen wasn't included in the feature list so why should I expect it?

Dust shouldnt be able to get in. And yes, all electronics should be sealed to prevent it. Well at least they should seal the screen because thats probably the only important part that needs not to have dust. Its very practical, I don't want dust under my screen, and I don't think anyone else does either, so the companies should do everything they can to prevent it. Or atleast provide a way of cleaning it, like in mobile phones the cover comes off so you can clean it. Either do that or seal. As for dust getting in before its sealed, well thats the companies responsibility.
    I shouldn't have to put up with any amount of dust under the screen.

A large spec of dust is under my screen, this is clearly coming from the poor design or build of the plasic and metal part. As if you would even consider selling something that looked as bad as my one. And considering that only the factory should open the unit, a seal is a good idea because they can replace it when they service it.

28. jjust

jjust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can deal with a bit of dust. There was none when I bought my HD5 now there is a bit. But this morning I pick up my HD5 and notice a HAIR in there. Like an eyelash or something. Under the screen.
    That is just plain ridculous...

I wonder if I can blast it out with some compressed air?

29. Sasso

Sasso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What to make it go further? I was thinking more along the lines of a vacuum cleaner.

30. ohms

ohms

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    haha, i wanna get the dust outta mine. has anyone opened theirs before? reckon it'd be ok?