1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sony hd5 converting bit rate

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by scratchyjase, Sep 22, 2005.

1. scratchyjase

scratchyjase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    i have been loading my cds on no the hd5 at 64 is there a way to convert it to a higher bit rate or is not possible?

2. drmoze

drmoze
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You can't convert the files already loaded to a higher bitrate (and would not get any improvement in sound quality if you did!). You can rip your CDs at 192 or 256 for the HD5. I was originally going with 192, but tried double-blind tests on a few different types of songs using different headphones (hitting the randomizer button a few times and checking the bitrate after listening and guessing) and I didn't catch a major difference. 192 might be preferable if you're going to play songs over a real stereo a lot. For headphone use, my aging ears think the 64 rate is perfectly fine, so I went with more songs at lower bitrate!

3. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My ears agree: 64 is perfectly acceptable - even through my entry-level separates Technics system using the HD5's line out.

4. DanDT

DanDT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    One thing that i don't get is that sometimes i transfer music to the HD5 from MP3's and they don't seem to convert to ATRAC.
    I know that it doesn't convert anything that's lower bit rate than the selected ATRAC bit-rate, but sometimes even the MP3s that are higher bit rate than what i selected don't convert... Oh well...

5. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MP3s go over 'as is' (plus a 'wrapper' added by SonicStage). You have to tell SS to convert them to ATRAC.

6. robhimself

robhimself

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have this same problem, only my mp3 tracks work, the rest, ripped from cds, transfer at 64kbps when i ripped them at a higher level. i cant change it, and these lower quality tracks skip and sound generally worse than the mp3 files.

7. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are your MP3s CBR or VBR?