1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony Hd3

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by neil@work!, Apr 27, 2005.

1. neil@work!

neil@work!

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone got any prefrences to whats better-

ATRAC3PLUS or MP3? :eek:

2. Phil K

Phil K

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Personally, never found any difference. That said, I am not using the nw-hd's - I am using the atrac3plus-capable walkman.

Addituion - do you or anyone else know how to get shot of that ridiculous sound restriction on this atrac3plus-capable cd walkman ? :lease:

3. RainFX

RainFX
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've heard that 128kbps mp3 is roughly equivalent to 64kbps Atrac3plus.

At the moment I find 132kbps Atrac3 (not plus) to be better than both of them.

Best call is to take a good listen to both file types and see which you prefer.

4. neil@work!

neil@work!

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry Phil K I'm rubbish on stuff like this,

hopefully someone else can answer!!

5. neil@work!

neil@work!

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Rain FX for reply!!

6. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,211
    Depends on your ears :D But for my HD3, I use Atrac3+ 256, the highest Atrac quality. Compared 3 songs with MP3 320 & liked Atrac better. Just thought it sounded more detailed, and "fuller", paying attention to instruments, e.g. cymbals + drums.

But really it depends on ur ears. Just rip 3 songs in Atrac + MP3 and see which u like. :) Also if u use Atrac on Sony products, u get gapless play. Can't with MP3

7. flamejob

flamejob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yeah you get a more detailed and fuller sound that is completely lost when the output is whispered through your headphones from a castrated player.

iv cranked up the equaliser to make on one of the customized settins and im gettin more volume.. but im gonna audition an ipod this weekend in the shops to checkout the vol levels... are all mp3 players like this?/

8. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,211
    u did take EU volume limit right?......

9. flamejob

flamejob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    iv removed the sound limiter.. perhaps i should have payed sony and only allowed then to draw some of the money hahahaha

10. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,211
    try canal phones that isolate background noise. For sub £50, from best 2 worst: Sharp MD33 - Panasonic RP-HJE50 - Sony EX71.

Note Sharp's need 4 pole to 3 pole converter (included). Sony's, good fit shame about build and bass heavy. With my Sony's, the right channel canked out after 6 months. But can forgive for price?

11. flamejob

flamejob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    im buyin some E3c... a guy is knockin em out on ebay for 70 squidys inc p&p.. ill buy some fontopias too at some point... iv changed my mind yet again.. im goin round the twist.

12. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Make sure you unlimit the iPod too, which is similarly capped. Only it's easier to uncap... all you need to do is to run an app. After that there's no comparison. The iPod can even power relatively inefficient 300 ohm phones at reasonable volumes without sounding overtly strained.

At lower bitrates, ATRAC3+ is definitely superior to MP3. 64K ATRAC3+ sounds like 96K~128K MP3. It's still not a level where I consider using the word 'quality' relevant, but it does the job and is perfectly listenable on most occasions. The problem is beyond that. 132K ATRAC3 is based on the older codec which is at best equivalent to MP3. The only other bitrate supported is 256K ATRAC3+ which is pretty much the same as 256K with any good MP3 implementation. There are times with MP3 on the HD3 when I feel that there 's something holding it back. It's not the fault of MP3's as such, but I think there's an occasional problem with the way the HD3 plays back MP3's. I haven't really looked into it with much detail though.