1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SONY HD3- Should I buy??

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by JJ VDUB, Jun 5, 2005.

1. JJ VDUB

JJ VDUB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey, Im thinking of getting the HD3. Im new to MP3 players. currently just the radio on my phone to and from work. I ve read all the reviews and aside from tying the player to the source PC. My only concern is around the grouping of Albums and searching. I would want to be able to find tracks alphabetically or at least by artist. I read the review attached on the HD1.. Does this not apply to the HD3 or is it possible to search in this way on this player. b4 anyone suggests, hate the look of the HD5 so not getting one.

"Pressing the Mode button breaks your music down into categories such as Artist, Album, Genre, Group, or Others. If you select a particular artist, all of the tracks by that artist will be played. Right-click an artist's name and you'll be taken to their albums, then to an album's tracks. It's a slightly unusual method of selecting tracks, but it's effective"

quoted from
    c net review

2. emqav

emqav
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Please dont get the ugly HD5. Choose the HD3 and you'll live happily with all your music and the wonderful design of your new player.

3. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
  4. watchinthewheel

watchinthewheel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi jj, i have a hd3 and i find the listing of tracks fine tbh, you can use an album view, which lists the albums alphabeticaly i thought the hd1 could aswell tbh but i never owned one so im not sure. you can always search bvy artist too, thats the default view, the one thing it wont do is list tracks by name, im pretty sure the hd5 can if you really want that feature though ;) i would highly recomend the hd3 to anyone, i love mine and havent had a single problem with it.

5. sbradnam

sbradnam
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Have had my HD3 for 6 months, and I use it a LOT. No problems at all. Started with SS2.3, which I have recently upgraded to 3.1 (UK/European version - not the earlier released US 3.1 version, which causes copyright issues with CONNECT, the on-line SONY music store). Unit is robust, and works a treat. Battery life is excellent (20-22 hrs on average). Volume limiter can be turned off (see separate thread in these forums), and I purchased some different earphones. I am very happy with the player. My teenage son has an Ipod mini (4 GB) which is also good - works great for him, as he has a smaller music collection!! I am impressed with the Ipod mini, but I am equally impressed with my Sony product.. The HD3 works great for me. get to a store, and have a play with the units - if they really want to sell you one, they will let you, so you can compare!! :)

6. JB5

JB5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Had may HD3 for a couple of months now. I really like the unit.

I'd upgrade to SS3.1 ASAP, works well. I also changed the earphones to mx500's, I didn't notice a tremendous improvement in sound quality, but I do sometimes struggle to keep the phones located in my ear properly! Small ears I guess!

The unit looks really nice. I prefer it's looks to those of the HD5, my opinion.

The unit / software doesn't set recording levels automatically, so different converted CD's will have slightly different volume levels. If like me you tend to listen to an album in it's entirety before moving on to the next then this problem is relatively small, especially as the mx500's have a separate volume control.

The only thing that it's lacking is a separate alphabetical folder for artists begining with a, b, ..etc.. on the HD3 itself. If you have a lot of artists, a problem especially when importing compilation albums, then searching through to the middle of the list to find artists begining with m for instance can be tiresome. The HD5 has separate folders for each letter and then the artists listed within that subfolder. It's a relatively small niggle and will be a problem or not depending on how you use your unit.

Apart from that I haven't had a problem with my HD3.
    All that being said it's the only MP3 player I've owned so cannot offer comparisons with other players.