1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony HD3 recall

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Steven, May 13, 2005.

1. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,211
  2. Ryanmixu

Ryanmixu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    can't be good news hope its not a something that happens eventually to them all and would be interesting to see how long this offer of free repair remains.

3. mrtbag

mrtbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +395
    The article is quite clear. That fault will be fixed for free, at any time, if you have one wthin the serial number range displayed.

4. watchinthewheel

watchinthewheel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    goddammit, does that mean mines going to break soon then. never thought i would say this but im actualy thinking about an ipod.

5. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,211
    :( me too. very dissappointed in Sony. but I never had a problem with their CD walkmans. even if the HD3 is only their 2nd HD DAP, sony shouldn't be making these amateur mistakes in build. its just all these niggling faults adding up in the whole package. why do Sony think Apple have a stranglehold on the MP3 player market? OK, looks aside.

6. watchinthewheel

watchinthewheel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    personaly i think the hd3 looks far far better than the ipod, black is the new black, not goddam white, i hate white stuff. but i do agree with you about these flaws ruining what should be an awsome player

7. Ryanmixu

Ryanmixu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    not according to the sony centre employee who i spoke with today regarding the matter he said that he was advised to inform anyone within said range to get in contact with sony also said that proof of purchase had to be provided so have to contact comet now to see bout a copy of my receipt not much chance wouldn't think (been about 6 months) but his parting word to me were to make sure i got it repaired as soon as possible because outside of warranty they will charge to rectify the fault i assume at this point everyone who owns one will still be inside there warranty as it was only released a short time ago worth noting tho. just curious if there is any chance of just getting it replaced with a hd5 will certainly address this point wile trying to obtain copy of the receipt

8. peteyoung

peteyoung
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

lol how pathetic. If you read it, it clearly states which batch of hd3's may have a fault and should send it off to be repaired, if your hd3 has a serial number between the range stated and has not broke yet then still send it back so they can check to make sure it does not.

How can you say youre very dissapointed in sony? if anything you should be glad they are doing this, yes of course theres a problem but it isnt like they are ignoring it or going to charge you, they have noted the problem and are now trying to resolve it, that surely is good.

Oh and my friend bought an ipod the other week and as soon as it arrived the bottom rows of the screen were permenantly black because it was broke, even before he got to have a mess with it, so its obvious there are problems with all things, its whether they will fix the problem for you and try to resolve the issue.

9. Kaledii

Kaledii

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    In response the person who needs a reciept from Comet, then I've managed to get a copy receipt out of them a whole year after buying the product. As long as you can remember the rough date, or even better paid by cash/credit card it shouldn't be a problem.
    Having said that it didn't appear to say anything about needing a receipt on the recall page.

10. Simmo81

Simmo81

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Damn it - mines a red HD3 with serial number 0521363 within the range listed on the website. Not had any problems though, so I ain't sending it in. Hope it will be alright though. God I'll be living on edge for the rest of the time I own the thing!

11. Ryanmixu

Ryanmixu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    i've not tried it yet but fingers crossed i didn't notice it asking for a receipt either but thats what the sony centre guy said probably better providing a copy of it anyway will save alot of time if sony have to get in contact with you once u have sent of your hd3 to them to tell u that they need proof of purchase

12. peteyoung

peteyoung
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know you havent had any problems but dont you think its best to send it in just so it will never have the problem? people have said it can happen after a while, not immediately, after all its free ;)

13. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,211
    ouch, 1st words are harsh :) No, of course I commend Sony that they acknowledge the problem and will fix it for free. I just meant why do you think the HD5 is out SIX months after the HD3? read my post. I just meant all these small flaws add up. OK, nothing is perfect, but hardware issues with the iPod are rare. Or just Apple don't let any complaints become public :D

14. nasanu

nasanu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What about the first gen mini's? There were major probelms with the hdd crashing and losing all music. Infact it happened live on the screen savers (called attack of the show now or something) when they were showing one.

15. MEGAginge

MEGAginge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hmmz I have one in that range, no particular desire to lose it for 2weeks though....

Got another 8months warranty so I will see :)

16. rhythm&bass

rhythm&bass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    does anyone know if this repair will require a hard drive wipeage?

17. Hasselhoffia

Hasselhoffia

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Really don't think they would need to blat your hard drive.

What I think's pretty poor though is that Sony haven't contacted registered HD3 owners about this yet.

18. mrtbag

mrtbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +395
    Do they ask for serial numbers when you register? How would they know who to contact?

19. Hasselhoffia

Hasselhoffia

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pretty sure they did ask for serial numbers, but I think an email to all HD3 owners is justified in any case.

20. mrtbag

mrtbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +395
    Why? Not all are affected. If there is an issue on a car for example, it it the local retailers that contact the customers who have been sold an affected model, not say Ford or VW themselves. I could understand your point if it were a serious safety issue, but it isn't. I think that there are many other manufactures out there that would have said nothing , and fixed them as and when they went wrong. Fair play to Sony for putting their hands up and admitting a mistake has been made.

21. sacd

sacd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    mrtbag I think you have got ot all wrong.
    I have an affected HD3 and the only way I got to know about the recall was through this forum.
    Sony have both my e-mail address and the serial number of my HD3, it would'nt be rocket science to send those of us who are affected an e-mail telling us that our units need to be sent back in.
    Your Car analogy just does not hold up.
    Richer sounds neither took note of the serial number of my HD3 nor have they the means to fix it for the purposes the this recall.
    Why should retailers have face any administration costs because of a manufacturing problem is beyond me.
    Sony have 'buried' this recall within it's website in order that as few as possible of us would know about it. Then when the problem crops up after the guarantee has expired they will happily charge for the repair.

22. mrtbag

mrtbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +395
    That was my point (maybe not put accross very well). How would sony have known who to contact? As far as I know, serial numbers are there purely to confirm authenticity if any warranty/service work is neccessary, but at no point is this information linked to the customer by the retailer or manufacturer. Maybe this is something that needs to change, but having worked in Consumer Electronics for ten years, Sony have been more honest than some. I understand that unless you were a regular at sony.co.uk people have had to rely on forums like this.

I do disagree that this will be chargeable outside guarantee. All sony literature about the fault says:

That offer to me looks like it is an open ended one.

23. Kano

Kano

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just noticed this thread. I sent mine back on 7 May (received confirmation of receipt of item on 10 May) as it was experiencing similar problems (posted in another thread). Its good to see that they are admitting there is a fault. Hopefully I will not have to wait long for it to be returned.

24. joe2snj

joe2snj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Not all owners of the HD3 would have bothered to send back their sony gaurantee card which is included on most if not all their products. They have admitted that its their fault and are repairing free of charge. If they dont have the contact details of most HD3 owners how else could they let people know?

25. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,211
    hey its posted "inconspicuously" on the support section of sony.co.uk. They should put it on the main page, as not everyone will bother going on the support section. I hold my breath for notices to be placed in sony stores around the UK

26. Qs'Tree

Qs'Tree

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I've written an email to the german service address yesterday and told them the serial number of my NW-HD3. Today I reveived the answer that they will pick it up within the next days via DHL. Furthermore they told me that it will take 1 - 3 days to repair the player. In general it will take approximately one week till I get it back.

I'll keep you informed...

27. VoodooChild

VoodooChild

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I thought I'll let you guys know that I have had my HD3 in Sony's custody for about 5 weeks now.

Yes, 5 BLOODY WEEKS!!!

I'm almost certain it's because of the dodgy connection to the screen, because it was within the serial number range ( I think) :)

BTW I bought it from Selfridges Birmingham about 15 weeks ago.

ARGHHHHHH I WANT IT BACK!!!

28. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,211
    tried contacting them?

29. Kano

Kano

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I received my player back from Sony. Just over a week to fix and return. Impressed.

Working fine and all my music is still there

30. VoodooChild

VoodooChild

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes I have contacted them, numerous times, in person and on the phone and its the same excuse everytime, ' should be here anyday now'. Yeah right

I should get it back Monday the latest, according to them.