1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony HD3 Problems with air travel?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by aund, Jul 1, 2005.

1. aund

aund
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone else had broblems when travelling by air? I had to put my HD3 through the x ray machine at the airport and when I played it on the plane i got through 3 songs on random mode and i noticed the display didnt change with the next track. Then horror of horrors! The whole database was erased together with all the functions. When i got home it wouldnt let me replace the music. I wasnt even at high altitude and there is no warning on the product about airport security.

Anyone got any idea of what the cause is?

Aund

2. davisneil

davisneil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    sounds to me like the hdd was wiped by the xrays magnetic field. The 3 songs you listened to were prob already in the temporary buffer memory, but the database and the hdd songs all wiped..hence no song info. Try reformatting the hdd and re transfer. Make sure you carry the hd3, camera film, credit cards and anything prone to magnetism in your hand luggage and ask for a manual search.

3. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +666
    You are given a seperate tray for anything like laptops, mp3 players etc. when you go through, you should have put it in there.

4. aund

aund
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the advice. I wasnt able to format the player as there was no function atall. I honestly cant remember if i walked throught the human x ray with the machine or put it on a tray. Is the human walk through x ray more powerful than the hand luggage x ray?

Anyway, Ive had to send it to Sony, so its back to portable CDs. They sound so good and loud compared to the HD3 so I am not coomplaining that much!

5. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +666
    The don't put that stuff through at all I don't think, going through JFK they swipe a sort of wand thing plugged into a pc over them and swab it to test for powders etc.

6. Hrochnick

Hrochnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    My HD5 went through the hand luggage scanner thing last weekend without any problems...

7. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +666
    There shouldn't be a problem at all, but they do give you a tray just in case.

8. SeaneyC

SeaneyC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Err, airport xray machines don't have a magnetic field, they use Xrays, which are just a short wavelength form of light. The worst place to put your credit cards is actually in your pockets, as the metal detectors (not xray machines) that you walk through whilst your bags are being scanned DO use magnetic fields to detect metal! Also as a point of note, film is fogged due to exposure by the xrays, it is not affected by magnetic fields. Many airport Xray machines now claim to be "film safe" but i would always take them through the metal detectors for physical inspection rather than run the risk.

Most airports will give you a tray to put your wallet, laptop and electrical items in, this is mainly so that the items are seperated out from other things to aid ease of identification. Some airports may ask you to switch on your laptop, could be hassle if your battery is dead :suicide:

I think your poorly HD5 has failed and this is just a coincidence. My brother and i have racked up over 60,000 miles in air travel this year, and neither of us have ever had any problems with laptops, credit cards, ipods, etc....

9. davisneil

davisneil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    i stand corrected, then.

it does say on some players a small warning sticker about xrays. The xray machine does have an electro magnetic element in it..to accelerate the electrons in the xray head.

whether or not this affects hard disks or not is uncertain...i just suggest requesting a manual search or following any directions at customs.