1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony Hd3 owners...how would you rate your satisfaction?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Akasan, Mar 20, 2005.

1. Akasan

Akasan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Buying either the sony, rio karma, or Zen touch on thursday keep going back and forth between these three, i really do want the sony, think it will last me longer, but (i am in the us) here the sony is $350, Zen $225 and the Karma $200(or even less)....is the sony worth paying that extra $150 Oh yeah, I am an Md owner so I don't have any issue with the sonicstage atrac concerns some seem to have...but what bugs me is that tracks have to be playing in order to bookmark them and there really is no playlist on the go type feature....do any hd3 owners have any gripes about that or is it only a minor inconvenience??

2. twcheang

twcheang

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had HD3 for almost 2 months, I'm so happy with it!!! 3 days without charging the unit ( When I had Zen Micro I had to charge it everyday :( ).

If you want a player with good sound quality and long battery life, SONY is your choice :thumbsup:

3. combustion

combustion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    very happy! :smashin:

4. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    The HD3 is:
    -The smallest and the best looking.
    -The worst to use.

The Karma has some reliability concerns, but get an extended warranty and you'll be safe. It's thicker than the HD3 by quite a margin (nearly twice), but it fits in the hand nicely and is a far better player. I can't stress that enough... far better. The iPod is despite it's ubiquity also a very good option, but I'm presuming you don't want one as it's not in your shortlist.

5. Akasan

Akasan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    not too interested in the ipod. I really want something that gets in the range of twenty + hours which is why my choices are basically limited to the zen touch and sony. I would get the Karma over both of these despite the lower battery life because of the ogg support but the horror stories have scared me away. For some reason I suspect that the greater majority of karma owners have no trouble it's just that the ones who do are more vocal but knowing my luck not willing to chance it. I have a hi-md player, actually just bought it two weeks ago, and while it is a good device, I'm being greedy and want all my cd's (about 250) in the palm of my hand so i can go where my mood takes me. I keep going back and forth between these three and cannot believe the time I've spent online trying to make a decision. It's really either the touch or sony now, maybe even the hd1 since I can get it for cheaper $250 (US). But i really want the rio....here I go again...

6. jmscott

jmscott
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can say, having owned both, the zen and the sony, I am very happy with the sony, the best thing is its size, it fits in the trouser/shorts pocket without a problem, even in its pouch, which you get with it. The zen was a v good player but it is quite a bit bigger and if you have it in its protective case, you struggle to fit it in your pocket, although you can clip it to your waistband but that's "very last millenium". Also I find the sony atrac+ format to be v good and at 48Kbits/sec it can store 80GB worth of MP3's(192Mb/sec which I used to use on the zen) That'll keep me going until the next millenium. V pleased, although, at first, I did think of using a higher bitrate for the atrac format, I couldn't find an easy way to convert my mp3's to another bitrate. As soundstage kept saying my mp3's didn't need converting, the only way I found was to convert the MP3's automatically on transfer using the minimum allowed which is 48Kbit/sec. As I say this bitrate seems to be amazingly good sound quality, so I'm not too bothered, maybe sonicstage3 will allow me to do it shall have to inquire, it was 2.3 that came with the player.

Cheers, John

7. watchinthewheel

watchinthewheel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    very very happy despite sonic stage crappyness.

8. combustion

combustion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    they've already discontinued it (karma) what does that tell you?
    get the sony, you wont regret it... I think about mine when Im away from it, I may be in love.

...and its not nearly as hard to use as some say.

9. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    I thought as much about the iPod. I have the iPod, Rio, HD3 among others. The HD3 gets the least use despite being easily the best looking and the smallest. And I think that's about all it comes down to... looks and size, it has no functional advantages (in fact quite a few disadvantages). If those things are more important, then the HD3 is a shoo-in.

If you have a Hi-MD already, then it does seem to make some sense to get an HD3, as you can stick your ATRAC recordings on the HD. But if you're using both as playback only, then your HDD player doesn't strictly need to be ATRAC compatible.

The Karma's long in the tooth for a HDD player and it has been discontinued, but it is still one of the best. It's EQ is incredible for a portable, it drives any phone with far more authority than the HD3, the companion software is still better than Sonicstage and you can edit, create and delete playlists on the fly. Controls fall easily to the hand and navigation is surprisingly nearly as good as the iPod. What it will not do is act as USB Mass storage. You need to carry around the Rio Taxi software with you if you want to move data to and from the player. I've had no problems and there seems to be plenty with no problems, but my opinion is that there's no smoke without fire... so get yourself an extended warranty anyway. It's not expensive (and the player's cheap to begin with).

The HD3 is the new player for the image merchants who got bored of iPod. it's not as good, but looks a lot better and creates a significantly smaller bulge in your pocket. Compared to the Karma, as a player it's a bit of a joke. But it is sleek, sounds acceptable and it will probably integrate fairly well with your current set-up.

10. Akasan

Akasan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've decided to get the sony, the Karma has been discontinued so if it needs to be replaced....plus I think you pay for what you get, think the sony will be more stable in the long run, never had any problems with my net md players which i plan to continue to use when I start exercising. Sorry to say style factor influenced my decision as well...I luv the way the hd3 looks, but mostly I think stability of the hard drive over ease of UI is influencing my decision and sonic stage 3.0 has been reliable so far (cross fingers). TWO MORE DAYS!!! Meanwhile converting all my wma lossless into atrac. Thanks for your comments extremelydodgy, had me think more than twice about the rio, but I think I'll wait for the Chroma (whenever that comes about). The interface on the hd3 seems similar to the hi-md so I don't think it will be too much of an issue.

11. Akasan

Akasan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    funny story, was playing around with wmp 10 yesterday and noticed that it recognized the hi-md as a sync device. Got really happy, especially after it started converting the music file and transferred it to the device. Thought I wouldn't have to use sonic stage ever again until I realized that it only converted it to a smaller bit rate (lossless to 160 wma) but you can't play the song through the device itself, it transferred it as a data file. Oh well...it's nice to dream, but sonicstage is here to stay!

12. Darthvador

Darthvador
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :devil: I think it should be a great product but only acrap3+ and mp3..........
    what a pile of pants that is what about lossless there is no lossless how can you call it a quality machine without lossless..........
    with all the new formats out there some one needs to hack it even ipants can do better at 70 squid or a cheap chinease player at £40 can play more formats like monkeys audio ogg vorbis mp4 or mpc while were stuck with lame at best or acrap3+

but dont get me wrong i think it plays mp3 better than any other machine
    but mp3 is yesterday what about mp4 or mpc

and dont get me started about having to use sonys own software why not make it drag and drop

with other machines like i-river or i-audio or creative you have to ask yourself have i realy brought the best machine :devil:

13. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61

Using it certainly won't be an issue... everything works pretty much the same as Hi-MD. I can record on the NH1, connect the NH1 and the HD3 at the same time, transfer the recording to SS, then pop it on the HD3 and continue playback without any real change in the user interface. If you're "Sonyfied" already, as I said it might be the logical option.

With the HD3 though, you miss out on a lot of the good things that you can do with a high-capacity HDD player (or it's made that much more inconvenient for you), and that's my major gripe with it. It's too much like an overgrown MD, with no interface enhancements to compensate for the hugely increased capacity, and that's why I rarely use the HD3 for playback duties these days.

14. Akasan

Akasan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    with my net-md and hi-md players I can't tell much of a difference between atrac 132kbs and the original, and the ones I rip from 192kbs mp3s to 132kbs atrac sound the same as well. Lossless suport would be nice but I can't fit all of my cds into 20 gigs any way. All of that stuff will come soon enough when they wake up and smell the coffee though. Atrac is a good format in my opinion...it allows the higher battery life... I plan on using this on the subway and on the street and when I'm travelin on bus or plane or train so the fidelity of lossless isn't a high priority...

15. Kane3030

Kane3030
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i'm quite satisfied with my nw-hd3 w/remote

16. djarend

djarend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have nw hd3 now for a week and am quiet satisfied. Use to have the i-pod but wasn't happy with how quick battery's went down, with this it's quiet something else. Only thing is, sonic stage is not as good as i-tunes but will be maybe in future (wishfull thinking maybe) Only struggling to find a good head-phone, i have strange eras i think because earplugs never stay in my ears and i don't want a big headphone and also want loud and much bass in my music

17. Akasan

Akasan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanx for all your input. I went to nyc today and now I am a happy (for now) owner of a red HD3!!!! Now I'm busy converting to atrac (yeah I know it plays mp3 but I actually prefer Atrac and I'll get a better battery life) This thing is tiny, it might be a little smaller than a deck of cards. Oh yeah, does anyone know if having the display in reverse consumes more power?

18. webchimp

webchimp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The screen shouldn't use any more power when reversed. LCD's only require a minute amount of power to operate; I imagine the display would only use an appreciable amount of power when the backlight is on.

19. Akasan

Akasan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanx

20. Maldax

Maldax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I Love my HD3 SS2.3 could be better (Looking for the link to download 3)