1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony HD LCD TV's at Amazon.co.uk - Anyone bought from them?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by zooexpress, Sep 14, 2005.

1. zooexpress

zooexpress
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looking into buying one of the new Sony HD ready LCD's. Availability at most retailers is not the best as they are still rolling them out and trying to flog the old ones. However, Amazon list the availability on all as between 1 to 2 weeks. I'm especially interested in the KDLS26A12U listed at £799... which is strangely the same price as the 23 inch version and also £200 less than on sonystyle.co.uk

Would normally buy from John Lewis for peace of mind but money a little tight so may go for paying less for this TV, I'm just a little concerned about service should it be required in the future.

I assume they offer just a basic manufacturers warranty....any experiences shared would be appreciated.

Also what are your thoughts on the 'S' series? been reading a lot about the 'V' series but very little on the 'S'

Thanks and Regards

2. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    There's nothing wrong with buying from the web. I don't see why people think that buying from a store is more convenient in case it breaks down. What's more convenient? Having a courier uplift it, or having to physically drive the thing back to the store?

As for Amazon. They frequently mislead you about the availability of their products. I've had stuff sit in my "Waiting to be Despatched" page for weeks. Usually I just end up cancelling the order because of the ridiculous wait. Usually I just cancel the order and get it somewhere else - my advice is to just avoid them.

3. AndoverRed

AndoverRed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Robert Whyte (http://www.robertwhyteltd.co.uk) is doing a good deal on the new Sony LCD's. A 5 year warranty is now being offered as standard.

I'm going to take a look at the V40 on Friday.

4. psotfx

psotfx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lyris is correct in that Amazon can overestimate (!) their delivery times. There are many cases of people seeing their items stuck on "despatching soon" for days or longer. With that said I'm sure many of us would recommend Amazon. I ordered a Pioneer DVD player (nearly three years back now) from them which arrived in perfect condition in the stated time (it was an in stock, delivery within 24 hours item though) and I've never had an issue with it.

In terms of where to buy ... as others have mentioned most electrical items tend to fail either quickly or very slowly. That is they fail within the first few days/weeks or they work well till near the end of the typical life. There are exceptions of course :D Only you can weigh the pros and cons of "lower price" vs. "increased peace of mind".

5. zooexpress

zooexpress
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the comments fellas....

I've been really happy with goods, prices and service Amazon have given me in the past and I'll continue to use them. However, I've never purchased such a big thing from them and I get the impression they sometimes try and spread their wings too far and say they sell everything under the sun sometimes and like Lyris and psotfx this leads to poor information on estimated times of delivery.

Robert Whyte has certainly got my attention now, just a shame the showrooms so far away. Cheers fo that AndoverRed, will give Mr Whyte a ring in the morning.

6. stu.artd

stu.artd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +328
    I've purchased a number of things from amazon, including my 2yr old mini dv camcorder.

I've never had any real delay regarding orders I've placed, in fact I've been pleasantly surprised on a few occassions as items that had an estimated 1-2 week wait arrived and were despatched within 3 or 4 days of my order. I've certainly never had any order with in stock items sit at "waiting to be despatched" for days on end.

I've had one problem with an item I ordered and Amazon arranged a return and replacement with no fuss. Fair enough it was only a dvd boxset but they were still very helpful (and being totally fair play.com were exactly the same when I had a problem with them).