1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony HD-5 heat build up??

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by nico_192, Jul 13, 2005.

1. nico_192

nico_192

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey,

just got a hold of the new sony hd5 (black). I love it!!!.. after getting used to sonic stage (and it was rough, especially using an old win. 98se pc) its become a breeze transferring files, but one question. WHen i first got the device, i tried transfferring a large majority of my mp3's (about 2,000) through win. explorer (going to my computer, then copying and pasting all my files to "removable device", which was the hd 5). I later found out that this would not work, but ..another semi-problem occured. I noticed the unit got VERY VERY warm during this process. I did as the manual suggested, and had the unit plugged into the wall outlet during the process, but i dunno if this had to do with it getting really hot or not. I acctually asked sony about this, and they said it was normal for a unit to get warm during a transfer of a large amount of files, anyone else have this happen?

2. Mike_manchester

Mike_manchester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    YES - i have noticed this also. What bothers me slightly is that i have a proporta neoprene case and the set seems to get hotter still during transfers with this on. I am wondering whether to go to the bother of removing it each time i do transfers, especially during this hot weather - i dont want component failure on top of cracked buttons !!!

3. blitter

blitter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I usually transfer songs with the player only connected to the USB port. This is not problematic, as the USB port feeds power to the player. But you have to take into account that most USB ports that are in front of he computer doesn't feed power too well, and you can suffer random connection and disconnections of the player. I have experienced this with my AthlonXP 2600+ and GigaByte motherboard and an external USB 2.0 harddisk. The computer that's on my office doesn't suffer from this problems when using the device on the frontal ports (Athlon64 3500+, ASUS motherboard). In any case, I think that the problem is more related to the case than to the motherboard.

I have a question. I own an Archos Recorder (and also a black HD5 of course, with 1,5 weeks and no cracks) and I love its neophrene case. I have seen the proporta ones, but I don't know if the fit well the HD5. Could you please send some photos of the case or tell me something about it? Does it have a belt clip? The product ID is also welcome. I'm awaiting the silicone case, but I'm not really convinced with it.

Thank you very much.
    Sergio

4. HD3

HD3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There is no difference between the USB ports on the front of a computer to the back apart from a lead which i can't imagine the resistance in that is going to result in a loss of power unless there is something wrong.