Sony HC90E - how to get pics off memory card

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by stupidboyjj, Mar 12, 2006.

1. stupidboyjj

stupidboyjj
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hello,

I've got a few hi-res pictures on the memory card inside my HC90E but I cannot seem to get them OFF the card to the PC in any hi-res form whatsoever!

I'm using the supplied 16Meg card which should get about 10 or 11 pics on it in widescreen at maximum resolution, however when the device appears in My Computer the pics are there - squashed so they'd fit a 4:3 size frame - with a size of approx 20k each. I'm using a firewire connection by the way. Capturing video off this thing works fine.

Can anyone tell me please how do I get my pics off??

2. stupidboyjj

stupidboyjj
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I would have to say that this is not the most helpful answer...:)

3. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +620
    This is very strange. If the PC sees the file, then it will simply access what is there - it doesn't do any conversion in copying from stick to the PC, so I would think that if the file you are getting is small and 4:3, the photo must be like that. When you took the photos, are you sure you were in the correct mode - with the camcorder on the memory setting, and the high quality widescreen mode selected?

Even so, something is wrong. In the lowest possible setting (640x480 4:3, or 640x360 16:9), the filesize should be 60K. 20K filesize should not be possible.

Mark

4. stupidboyjj

stupidboyjj
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Very confused - it works fine with the USB connection (never used this before), appears as a removable drive with the pics in 16:9 high resolution (FINE at 2016 or whatever it says on the screen), which I can copy off the card.

But with the firewire connection, although the camera appears in My Computer, it has these odd 4:3 pics which are a few k each, but not the 'proper' pics as seen by the USB connection (which DOESN'T see these smaller jpgs by the way).

Very confused but no matter, I've got my pics off it now!

5. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +620
    Hmm... I've always copied stills via USB and of course use Firewire for Video capture... so I was surprised you could even see the file with Firewire. I guess the answer is don't try and use Firewire for stills.

Mark

6. melliott1963

melliott1963

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    A lot of jpg images actually contain 2 images - the actual, full res image and a small thumbnail image. Some programs then use these thumbnail images to allow fast previewing. It sounds to me as if, when you are using the firwire connection, all you are able to see are these thumbnails.

As with Mark, I thought you could only use USB for images and firewire for video.

7. stupidboyjj

stupidboyjj
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Could be. The manual for the camera however is confusing...also when I plug the USB cable in and switch the camera on, the PC detects it as a removable drive but the camera screen in large letters says 'UNPLUG USB CABLE BEFORE CHANGING SETTINGS' yet I can still get the pictures off ok if I leave it connected.

Not that I'm going to use it as a stills camera really but I wanted to know if it worked or not.