Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Sony HC90 v HC42

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by janesprog, Oct 12, 2005.

1. janesprog

janesprog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hiya

I'm new to all this but thought this might be useful for others....
    We bought an HC42 the other day - I was really pleased with it - looked good, worked easily, fitted into my hand well and I could access the controls easily whilst holding it. PQ was fine and the docking station supplied with it was the icing on the cake for me as it meant I could plug everything up - the firewire, power and any future cables - into the base station then just grab the camcorder as and when I needed it knowing it was always fully charged.

Well, then my broadcast engineer hubby came home (yawn yawn - sorry but you know what you are like sweetie?!!!) and decided the PQ in low light or artificial light was terrible - we then got a HC90 and took footage in the same light /room etc to cmpare the difference as I wanted to keep the HC42 as it has a docking station and the HC90 doesn't.

The difference was amazing - the colour was much truer on the HC90 - reds were red, whereas on the HC42 the red was showing as salmon pink with light orange and deeper pink patches - and there was all sorts of yellowing patterning on it - only very slight but noticable to a non-techie like me.

So I've spent all day cursing SONY for not making an HC99 or whatever so I get all the PQ and functionality of the HC90 but with the docking station of the HC42......

Have just returned the HC42 knowing that if I kept it and sent back the HC90 then every video watched would be ruined by my hubby saying - "hmm, looks nice but it would have been so much better if we'd had the HC90" and I know it would have ended with blood being shed...!!!

Anyway, basically, if you can afford it and don't mind the lack of docking station then go for the HC90 (prices were aroudn £370 for HC42 and £515 for the HC90.

Apologies for the waffle but once I get going I can't shut up!

J :lesson:

2. laser

laser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45