1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony HC42 Digital Camcorder

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by Mr H, Apr 3, 2005.

1. Mr H

Mr H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey people, Just signed up to the forum. It seems an invaluable place for great advice for the technically info-limited.

Anyway, I have recently been wanting to purchase my own digital camcorder for a while now. I've been to a few shops, scanned a few models.

Twice, the Sony HC42 model has been recommended?

I wanted your opinions or advice as to whether its worth buying?

It retails in Dixons for £499.89

2. GTX_SlotCar

GTX_SlotCar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just bought a Sony TRV38. It's a nice camcorder, but if I had read about the problems with all the Sony single CCD models, I would have bought something else.
    HERE is one thread that explains the problem, and HERE is another that also has links to cnet forums with people with the same problem.
    The more you look around, the more you can find people with Sony camcorders that have the same problem. There are hundreds of them. It seems the CCD Block Assembly goes bad (corrosion) after a short time, with or without use. The repair cost is so high that it's not worth fixing. Sony will not admit there is a problem.

Before I bought a camcorder, I looked on eBay and saw several JVC models for sale, broken, all with the same error message on the LCD. I thought I'd be smart and stay away from the JVCs. I guess I didn't do enough research.
    I'm enjoying my TRV38 now, but when it breaks (and it almost certainly will), I'll wish I had bought a Panasonic GS-120 or 150, in the same price range and with slightly better video quality.

I'm not trying to scare you away from buying that model or any Sony, just giving you more information.

3. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,343
    On the flip side all the Sony camcorders I've been researching in the Europe have 2 year warranty - if you wanted to extend that a year or two then you might be OK?
    I've found that you can do a lot better than high street prices online
    For example http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/xx/49/xx/4/2/criteres.html?articleId=0
    I haven't used them but I haven't read bad things...yet.

I've also heard that Jessops photography stores will price match online retailers - again I have no first hand experience.

Good luck!