1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony HC40E questions

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by the_gaffer, Mar 8, 2005.

1. the_gaffer

the_gaffer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I bought this camcorder last summer and will be using it on my trip to NY in a few weeks. :clap: :clap: :clap:

I've been using Sony Premium Tapes up until now and was wondering if I should upgrade to "Excellence" ones?
    Will it be a big improvement?

Also, I read somewhere that tapes leave a coating on the head (or something like that) and that you shouldn't switch brands...is it the same coating on the Sony Premium & Excellence tapes? Will there be a problem?

I've read that the head can get dirty. I've recorded about 5 full 60 min tapes and watched about 10, is it time to clean it?

Finally, I have a generic battery pack that charges on the camcorder, will it be OK for charging in the US? I assume that Sony do worldwide 110-240v camcorders but I just want to be sure. Will I need a transformer/adaptor?

Thanks

gaffer

2. Roy Mallard

Roy Mallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    DV head cleaning: The camera will warn you.

If you've watched 10 tapes but only rcorded about 5, then this is bad practise, you should only really playback tapes you've recorded on kit you trust, shared decks, especially those in colleges etc are always filthy...

Keep your tapes in their boxes and you should be ok (I,ve never been prompted by any of cameras to do a head clean though I only ever use brand new tapes and clean with alcohol manually every 6 months as a matter of course).

Don't buy the excellence IC tapes, you are paying for a microchip that makes no difference to you given the camera you are using (I think only the VX2100 has got any use for them, it stores user bits that can be read on playback, labelling with a pen and paper is as effective for home users).

I don't think switching brands is a problem, if yo go into jessops you can get 4x Panasonic miniDV tapes for a tenner, or asda sell 3x miniDv tapes for around £8, why pay more, I have never found any reason to...

Your sony charger will be rated between 100v-250v 50hz & 60hz, and so shall still work in the US (via the appropriate travel adaptor).

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    Sony Premium tapes Here
    3 pack £7.99
    5 pack £12.50

Prices include UK delivery & VAT, so the price you see is the price you pay :smashin: and very good service when I've used them :thumbsup:

Mark.

4. the_gaffer

the_gaffer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

Concerning the playback tapes, it was tapes I recorded with this camcorder that were played back a few times...

Should I get the Excellence without IC chip or the premium?

thanks

gaffer

5. the_gaffer

the_gaffer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone advise me on the tapes?

Should I get the Premium or Excellence without IC chip ones?

thanks

gaffer

6. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    I've always used, and never had any problems with the Sony Premium DV tapes.
    This is also one of the few occassions where I will dissagree with Roy. I do think that you should stick to the same tapes for your camcorder. I have seen others have problems and therefore expensive repairs on DV cams. The report they got back with the repaired cam stated that the heads were clogged & dirty. In all cases they just bought whatever were the cheapest branded DV tapes they could at the time. This may just be coincidence, but I would rather play it safe.

Mark.