Sony HC40 or Canon MVX200i??

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by gossp, Oct 14, 2004.

1. gossp

gossp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Sony HC40 or Canon MVX200i?
    I'm looking for my first Camcorder. It needs to be DV and I have about £400 I can spend.
    Well i have done lots of trawling through the internet and forums and have narrowed my choice down to these two. I can get the Sony for £419 and the canon for £386.
    They both do roughly the same things. I like the fact the Canon takes SD cards, I hate the fact sony want to push their propriaty technology as always. The sony has a few more features but the canon by all accounts has better picture quality.
    I will be watching the results of my recordings on a PJ so really want as good PQ as I can get.
    Has anyone any experiance with either of these two, and can recommend one over the other. has anyone had any horror stories. I have heard issues with recording tape spindle noise on both.
    Thanks all.

2. jamesvtidohc

jamesvtidohc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    my post may not be relevant but i would recommend the canon mv750. my gosh from what ive seen this is a quality cam, such high optical zoom without a suffice in quality.

thing with the canon is they have a glass lens, unlike some other i think like jvc or panasonic which use plastic ones! another thing is that the canon's image stablizer is far more advanced, they have whats called floor lites (spelling?) in between the lens which is a man made material (quite expensive stuff too!) that helps auto focusing against very jerky movement, the processor also allows the image stabilizer to work before you start recording where as other makes, the image stabilizer starts to work after you start recording. this is just my 2 cents though, but ive seen this cam as well as the canon mv730 compared to the likes of panasonic, jvc, sharp and sony ones within the same price budget and my my, the canons quality is far more superior than the rest.

3. gossp

gossp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    thanks for that.
    I'm certainly leaning that wat. Why do you sugest the mv750 over the MVX200i?

4. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I have a TRV33 which is the predecessor to the HC40 and the 33 was probably the best camera in its price range

5. gossp

gossp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I've heard a lot of good things about the 33. I'll have to do a bit more research. Are they still available or should I only consider the HC40

6. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Haven't seen a new one for 6 months but the HC40 should be fine - try one in JEssops then price match off the internet

7. D J Fryer

D J Fryer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    The Sony TRV33 is available now for £323 delivered at www.discount2door.com in their Price Plunge section - would seem to be a bargain IMO.

8. gossp

gossp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thanks for that. I will do a bit of a comparison between the two. See if the HC40 is worththe extra £100