Sony HC3/HC3E

D

DurkS

Hi,
I've decided to get a Sony HC3 but am still confused about the differences between the HC3 and HC3E. From what I've been able to find out (mainly from this forum), the differences are:

HC3 - runs at 60 Hz, Records SDTV MiniDV in NTSC format. Video output 1080i60 and 480p outputs.
HC3E - runs at 50 Hz. Records SDTV MiniDV in European (PAL) format. Video output 1080i50 and 576p.

So it would seem that the HC3E is the one to get in the UK. Everyone is talking about PurelyGadgets being the cheapest so I e-mailed them to ask if they were selling the HC3 or HC3E. Their website stated they only sell UK PAL models but they came back and said they are selling the HC3 and not the HC3E. I pointed out the differences above and asked them to confirm the model they sell as they state they only sell PAL models. I'm still waiting for a reply after a week!

The model listed on Amazon is also the HC3, not the HC3E.

Can anyone give me a definitive answer as to whether the differences listed above are correct and whether I should forget about PurleyGadget and Amazon and look for a retailer with the HC3E models? No one else on the forum seems to be bothered about this so I'm wondering if I'm missing something???

I've tried to get a price match at Jessops too as they sell the HC3E but they say they've stopped this now so I need to find the cheapest source for the HC3E.

Cheers,
Derek

redsox_mark

Novice Member
It's more compex than that, and made worse by the fact that sellers don't always give the complete model number. Amazon.co.uk only sells UK stock I believe, so I'm pretty sure the one they have is the HC3E, even if it doesn't say so. It could the the same with Purely Gadgets.

The HC3E is the European model, which as you say runs at 50 Hz. Records SDTV MiniDV in European (PAL) format. Video output 1080i50 and 576p.

The NTSC model in the US is called the HC3 (no-E).

The thing which makes this more complex is that in non-European PAL countries, they sell a PAL HC3 called the HC3 (no-E). (China, Australia). So it is possible to buy a PAL HC3 (without the E), but it would be a grey import.

D

DurkS

Hi Mark,
Thanks for making it even more complicated than I thought it was!! :smashin:

I assume PurelyGadget are therefore selling a non-European PAL HC3 model.

Can anyone who has bought an HC3/HC3E from PurelyGadget or Amazon please confirm the exac model they're selling and what the spec is; i.e. PAL/NTSC, 50/60Hz etc...?

Are you aware of any differencs between the European HC3E and the non-European PAL HC3 (not the US model)?

Cheers,
Derek

redsox_mark

Novice Member
No differences between an HC3E and a PAL HC3, except possibly the plug on the power cord. (Note even if you buy a HC3E, if it was targetted for mainland Europe it could have a Europe plug rather than UK).

mmace

Novice Member
Can anyone who has bought an HC3/HC3E from PurelyGadget or Amazon please confirm the exac model they're selling and what the spec is; i.e. PAL/NTSC, 50/60Hz etc...?
I ordered one yesterday from Amazon (see other thread about why not from Purely Gadgets here: http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=439152), I will let you know, but it will more than likely be the HC3E, although I wouldn't be dissapointed to get the 60hz one as Blu-Ray and HD-DVD don't support 50hz yet so all my hi-def footage will be converted to 1920x1080 at 24fps so it's compatable (and then I can still share my footage with my family in the US as well as over here as out TV's support the US format)

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom