Answered Sony HC22E playback problem

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by DavidA2015, Aug 30, 2016.

Tags:
  1. DavidA2015

DavidA2015
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi

I have left my Sony HC22E unused on the shelf for about 4 months. It was working fine but now it is not playing back tapes. When I press play, the tape appears to advance correctly, but the screen is blue and shows just the soft buttons and the date/time as dashes. No video is displayed, despite the tape definitely having pre-recorded video.

Any idea what might be causing this please? I'm just wondering if I have missed the obvious.

Best regards

David

2. Best Answer:
    Post #5 by rogs, Aug 31, 2016 (1 points)
  3. 12harry

12harry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +385
    + others here, may immediately recognise this fault

I don't know this model, but those display nulls may indicate the internal battery is inoperative . . . modern camcorders need a charged battery to charge the tiny battery for the real time clock and maintain other Settings you've entered....
    (( It may take some time to re-charge - eg leave it with a charged-battery for a day )).
    These internal batteries are not replaceable in normal circumstances - but we almost never hear of any faults . . . .

Older camcorders used a coin-cell ( usually 3v Lithium ) - you can find the model by reading the old one. These are similar to those use in car-key fobs, etc.

The User guide may help, if this has identified the issue.

Good luck.

4. DavidA2015

DavidA2015
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for your reply, but the clock is fine. The problem is that there is no video or time information when playing a tape.

5. DavidA2015

DavidA2015
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I just cleaned the heads and the tape played. A bit scary since I cleaned them just 4 months ago.

6. rogs

rogs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +382
    Best Answer
    The heads getting dirty more quickly than previously can be due to a combination of older tapes starting to shed oxide coating more easily, and the heads themselves starting to show signs of wear and picking up more 'dirt'....
    When you look at the mechanical complexity of tape camcorders, I think it's miracle they work as well (and for as long) as they do.... Probably time to start thinking about capturing your 'special' tapes onto your computer, before the camera mechanics get any worse.

7. DavidA2015

DavidA2015
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Yes, absolutely. Thanks.