1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony hc22

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by kenjonesmpa, Jul 24, 2005.

1. kenjonesmpa

kenjonesmpa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all... New to all this and just purchased a Sony HC22 as the salesman at Jessops said I could record the tapes to my PC cd recorder. Ok, after hooking it up via teh USB, teh drive cant be seen. May be that it is a BTC 2410IM. If its the drive, ok I can hack that but wonder why it does not display the drive in teh VCD picture maker window. My machine is running XP SP2 3 gig, loads of memory 160G HDD etc. I also tried hooking in an external DVD drive, it didnt see that either. On the worst side of things, I will either upgrade the CD but I would rather just buy a recordable DVD (looking at a Toshiba x34). Will that produce better quality recordings to a DVD. If it does, will teh Tosh only record onto a DVD-R or DVD-RW. If that is a 'yes' then it means that the discs cannot play on the other DVD players that I have (3) for the kids. Any tips on how to get the PC looking at teh drive is teh best option but if the quality will not be as good as DVD then I will prefer to buy a new DVD. Sorry lots of questions,, Cheers

2. Roy Mallard

Roy Mallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    use the firewire instead of USB

3. kenjonesmpa

kenjonesmpa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I dont have a firewire connection on teh PC, would that really make it possible to see the drives on teh PC, The machine does see the camcorder

4. Roy Mallard

Roy Mallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you can't burn straight from DV tape to CD, you would need to capture video first then burn either a data disc or a playable disc such as a video cd or svcd or ideally DVD, either way you would need to render the format first (unless you were just wanting to burn an .avi file of the footage, about 3 mins on a cd, about 20 mins on a dvd, these would only play on a cd) you will need firewire to get the footage from the dv tape onto your pc, you could buy an analogue to USB2 convertor (if you have USB2) for reduced quality video or an analogue PC1MA card.

5. kenjonesmpa

kenjonesmpa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Roy, According to Sony, the instructions say that I should connect via teh USB connector supplied and then open teh VCD picture maker. There is an option to burn to CD and teh instructions say that all you do is place a CD in the drive. This stacks up with what teh shop said also. Cheers

6. playthefilm

playthefilm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59

Yes you're right, you should be able to burn straight to VCD (CD) from that model and newer ones also I believe.

Have the Camcorder hooked up to the PC
    On the touch panel in the menu (in play/edit mode), there is an option to burn to VCD, that should be the one.

7. kenjonesmpa

kenjonesmpa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, ta for that. Yes, I can see the option (page 2 on screen I think) and when I press it, the PC screen comes up to say that there is no CD inserted in the drive. I tried to select a drive earlier in settings but there was no pick list. Could this be that the drive letter is 'E'. My CD burner is a BTC 2410IM I think but I would have thought that all drives would be seen by the software. Any ideas? And thanks for the help so far, thanks

8. playthefilm

playthefilm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    what software are you using?

9. kenjonesmpa

kenjonesmpa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, think sussed...... Spoke to Jessops and the tech support team said that it will only work (VCD picture maker) to a sony PC. My PC is not a sony but XP 512M ram, 3 G proc, 160G drive. However, teh guy said to use movie maker version 2. On that, I can store to PC and then copy to a CD. However, he also said that teh quality on a cd will never be as good as a DVD. SO, also hooked camcorder to TV and that was excellent quality.

Then tried to play the CD on the DVD and it would not play (I have 3 DVD players inc kids units), wont play on any. So, the solution that it looks like I will go with is to buy a new DVD recorder that can take a firewire connection and also record to dual format (DVD plus and minus). I am looking at teh LG 7500 but would like to look at at least a handful. It has to have a hard drive and the negative bit with teh LG is that the drive is only 80G

Any comments? Cheers

10. playthefilm

playthefilm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59