1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony HC19 or HC22 ?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by mnsfldpaul, May 3, 2005.

1. mnsfldpaul

mnsfldpaul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Hi All,

I'm looking to buy a Sony HC19 or HC22 camcorder, As far as I am aware the only difference between these is the Docking station and DV in on the HC22. Is this correct or are there other differences. What I reall would like to know is if's worth spending the extra on the HC22? I want to be able to edit on the PC so do I need the DV in function as I have a DVD writer. Is the DV in only for writing back to tape ? If so does anyone use this function or is it needed if you have a dvd writer ? Also where is the best place to buy ?

Many thanks

Paul

2. melliott1963

melliott1963

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    DV in is used for writing back to tape - something I think you'll find a lot of people here use. The reason being that when you save your edited video back onto tape, you are creating a perfect copy which means that, if you ever need to recapture your edited footage, you will be able to do this without loosing any quality.

As soon as you save your video onto DVD, you're using compression and so, by its very nature, loosing quality (albeit that it is probably not noticable). If you ever need to recapture, you will then not be working on a perfect copy. Any subsequent editing you do and then recompression back to DVD will cause further quality loss.

I personally create 2 copies of my DVDs - one for use the other for storage so that, if my first copy gets scratched or damaged, I can easily create another copy. However, I also save the edited footage back to tape so that, if DVD rot sets in on both copies, I've still got something to go back to. I also keep the original unedited tapes. It's probably overkill, but for Family movies, why take the risk of losing memories?

A friend of mine is also looking at these two models, and I've recommended they go for the HC22, because of the DV in. Also, having the docking station will make life easier when you want to recharge the camera or connect it to your PC as it can be permanantly plugged in and all you do is slide the camcorder into place. I had a docking station on my previous Sony camcorder. Unfortunately, my TRV-33 didn't come with one and I do miss the convenience of it.

As far as the best place to buy, I'd suggest looking around the internet for prices, and then going to Jessops and getting them to price match (as they invariably do). Just make sure that the web sites you quote are UK and selling genuine UK models and not grey imports. You'll probably be able to get one for around £285.

3. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,251
    I've recently got a HC22E having agonised over the extra cost compared to the HC19.
    The differences are DVin as well as out and the docking station on the HC22.
    Be warned though that the H19 has the power, DVout and AVout sockets on the camera (above the screen) but the HC22 does not. The HC22 only has a docking connector and power - all the other connections are on the base station.
    That means you have to take the base station with you if you plan on playing back via a TV. It's not a big deal but worth knowing as it seems a bit cheap.

Also be aware that Sony are too cheap to include a £3 miniDV tape with the HC22 so make sure you get at least one of those too. Mine arrived as a gift with no tape which meant I got no footage of my birthday and my family didn't get to see the camera in action!

4. PjPip

PjPip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Can I just calrify that you can playback to TV from the HC22 without the docking cradle as it has AV out on the camera. What you can't do is connect to a PC without it.

But, the cradle is invaluable for quick connections to the PC. It was far more useful than I imagined, especially in the early days where you're backwards and forwards to the PC every 5 mins to play with your new footage!

5. mnsfldpaul

mnsfldpaul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Thank's for all the info guys, very helpfull. Went down to Jessops after work and got myself a HC22 after your recomendations for £298 got them to price match PRC direct ! Also they are doing a free extra years warranty at the mo so got that too, so I am well happy !
    Paul

6. Dear Mr Echo

Dear Mr Echo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    mnsfldpaul - you got a price match for £298? Which store was it? I bought one on Saturday and the best price they would do was £320!

Thing is when I got the camera home I found that it had been used - there were fingerprints all over the LCD and there was a tape in the camera with about 20 mins of footage of staff members dicking around with it. I sorted out getting a replacement camera and they wanted to offer me a £10 gift voucher which is pretty crap after travelling and parking etc.

I'm getting back onto them right now!

7. mnsfldpaul

mnsfldpaul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Mr Echo, got it from the Andover store in hampshire. They had no hesitation in matching the price. If I was you I would take it back and get your money back on it and try buying from a different store if possible. They told me I had 30 days to bring it back if I wasn't happy with it anyway. I took in a printout from PRC direct's website if it's any help. Good luck with it !

Paul

8. Dear Mr Echo

Dear Mr Echo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Thanks for that info Paul. I'm going to call them in a minute. I tried to get them to price match the printouts I had from both RGB and Amazon at £297 and £299 but like I said best they would do was £320. As I had a £5 voucher and there was the extra warranty I went for it.

We'll see waht they can do now!

cheers
    Andrew

9. sdkmway

sdkmway

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Do either of these models offer 16x9 recording.

Thanks
    Kev

10. mnsfldpaul

mnsfldpaul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    AFAIK Kev these camera's do record in 16x9 widescreen, but not true widescreen only a stretched picture. For true widescreen recording I think you would need the Sony HC42. But I may be incorrect on this.
    Paul

11. sdkmway

sdkmway

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks. I've got a Canon 830i which I only have a few days left of Jessops 30day policy to keep or return (still don't know if the motor noise on the tape is going to bug me or not).

This seems to record in Widescreen and when the tape is played back through the TV the widescreen flag is sent so the tv knows to adjust for the 16x9 signal.

Maybe the Sonys are a suitable alternative to the Canon.

12. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,251
    PjPiP - I have the camera in my hand right now there is an AV out on my DCR-HC22E PAL (bought April 05).

Page 30 of my manual also shows a diagram of the AV out connection for the HC19E/17E/21E having AV on the camera and HC22 only having the sockets on the base station.

(EDIT) OK, I stand completely corrected. Looking at the camera again this morning I noticed the blanking plate over the hand strap has a thumbnail slot. Underneath is an AV out and a socket marked LANC. Weird that the manual doesn't mention this in the section about connecting the camera to a TV. (/EDIT)

On another note the camera does have a 16x9 mode which (from what I've read) is cropped in the camera. Certainly the output is flagged with line 23 widescreen switching when played back using the AV lead. It's only composite so it's not a SCART pin switch. As I will only play back in 16x9 I've settled on shooting in that format rather than recropping later during editing YMMV.

13. northeastcorner

northeastcorner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thought I'd bump an old thread rather than starting a new one. I've just decided to get a HC22 rather than a JVC GR-D290 after comparing them in Jessops.

I asked about a price match and the fella behind the counter said yes sure, what price have you seen. £285 on totaldigital.biz, £299 on pixmania, amazon and the like so he went off to see what they could do and he came back and said that they are not currently price matching on Camcorders because they are giving away a 'free' warranty and they only price match on like for like offers.

So anyone know which other shops may price match Leeds/Manchester way.