1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony HC19 or Canon MV830

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by ron cardy, Apr 19, 2005.

1. ron cardy

ron cardy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone have an opinion as to which of the above camcorders are best? I want to purchase a good entry level camcorder and have settled on these two as the choices. Looks like I can buy the canon with Pinnacle editing software included which is swaying me towards the canon.
    Would appreciate any comments

Thanks

Ron

2. zmitha

zmitha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ron

I bought the HC19 and I am very happy with the quality but the sound, not too sure. I am giving it the benefit of the doubt and assuming its faulty. The retailer has agreed an exchange.

What has happened with the tapes recorded is the sound plays it bits and bobs. Choppy sound. But the tape seems to play fine in the other camcorder which i have. The funny thing is the second tape is playing no problems in the sony unit but not in my second unit.

I believe there are 2 models in the HC19. One comes with the docking station and the other doesn't.

Not had any experience on the canon so cannot comment on the quality, but if it helps i have a canon digital camera and it is more than pleasing.

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,381
    If you do a search on this forum for canon camcorders you will find a lot of people stating that the Canons mic picks up a lot of noise from the cam itself. This is not just on the 830, but most of the Canon consumer models. But then some people just don't notice it and all seem to think that the Canons are otherwise very good. I would sggest getting an instore demo of both cams and viewing a short recording back on a TV to compare them.

Mark.

4. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,111
    The H19 only has DV out - the HC22 is the same camera (according to the specs) but with DV in and out and a cradle to connect it to your PC/TV saving you lots of cable swapping.
    There's about £50 difference but I've been advised that DV in is worth the extra for archiving edited footage at the best possible quality.

5. ron cardy

ron cardy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks for taking the time to offer some advice. I think I will get a demo of both camcorders and take it from there.

Thanks

Ron

6. zmitha

zmitha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ron

I got my HC19 exchanged for the HC22 model, Its the same but I believe it has DV in/out whereas the HC19 only has DV out.

also the HC22 comes with a docking station which is useful as then your not plugging wires into the camera but instead into the docking station.

Hope it helps.

7. hillster

hillster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27

Has the new model resolved your sound issue?

8. Kellogs

Kellogs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does the HC22 model have the Nightshot infrared system?

9. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,111
    Yes it does, I have only previewed it not recorded anything yet.

I got my HC22 on Sunday and got a tape yesterday :rolleyes: - Sony if you're reading, not including a £3 miniDV tape with a £400 camcorder is one of the meanest things I've ever come across. It caused a huge amount of disappointment with my family who had all chipped in for the present but couldn't see the results and went home without any footage of my birthday!

The last camcorder I used was a Sony Hi8 back in college so I can't offer a comparitive review. That said it's small, light and easy to use. If you use the 'easy' mode then it's incredibly straightforward.
    Watching the results of a few minutes filming my 18 month old daughter on the TV last night was very enjoyable with a decent quality widescreen picture from the 16:9 mode. One minor flaw is that you must use the docking station to play back on the TV as the camera doesn't have an AV out or DVin/out sockets. The lower end H19 has these sockets on the side which would have been nice.
    I need to spend some time with the PC and get hold of a DVD burner to find out what editing the footage is like.

Overal I'm very impressed and based on very limited experience so far I would recommend it.