Sony HAP-Z1ES Purchase

Steve Johnson

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello! I am considering the purchase of a Sony HAP-Z1ES for my home theater system. Is an Internet connection required to use this component?

Thanks!

Hi. I own one of these units and I can tell you its a stunning piece of kit. The unit doesnt need to be connected to the internet but you may run into problems if your file are not properly tagged up. The unit has got in-built wifi.
Internet radio is fantastic on this unit, taking advantage of the DSEE processing.

Ive got the HAP-S1 which is fabulous. Not had a problem with tagging but mine are quite well tagged. The unit has Gracenote and when connected to the internet will pull down information.

Thanks for the response. Much appreciated!
I'm not sure I understand the problem with tagging. I have quite a few mp3s and most are tagged but some are not, or not completely (artist and track name, but not the album name or year). Would this present a problem as far as copying to the HAP-Z1ES? Also, I wanted to use WAV files as well. Can WAV files be tagged? I've read both yes and no.
Oh, I have an Anthem MRX 710, Oppo BDP-105D and Bowers & Wilkins speakers.

Would this present a problem as far as copying to the HAP-Z1ES? Also, I wanted to use WAV files as well. Can WAV files be tagged? I've read both yes and no.

It could potentially be a problem (or rather, take away from the enjoyment of using the unit) if your collection is large and you rely on the Sony requiring a network/internet connection to update your database with metadata/album art etc etc.
I was ripping my entire CD collection using WAV, but was getting inconsistent results with the Sony tagging the files (WAV are generally not easily taggable). I switched over to .AIFF and have ZERO problems now. I also prefer to copy/paste than rely on Sony's HAP Transfer software.
I have all my files on the Sony with artwork embedded in the files themselves, all at 800x800 pixel size. I wanted consistency!

I used the software to transfer my files but I think just dropping them and the HAP will find them and tag them anyway. Can you not convert the wav's to flac? The Sony uses Gracenote and according to GRacenote they look at the actual music itself to tag (not sure how much though). I have nearly 8000 files on mine and it took over 24 hours to transfer my music and a further full day to update the database from GRacenote (I do have quite a slow internet connection though). In the end though, I've got artwork for every single album

Yes, I have J River Media Center software that will convert to FLAC, however, I don't have an Internet connection so I have been manually tagging WAV files. It's interesting that sometimes the tags will show up in Windows Explorer and Media Player and sometimes they will not. I have not been successful using J River to tag WAVs and am using another program. I have over 64,000 mp3s, and if I decide to get the Sony I don't think I'll transfer them all at one time! : ) I've read that the transfer is slow, especially using a wireless connection.

Yes, I have J River Media Center software that will convert to FLAC, however, I don't have an Internet connection so I have been manually tagging WAV files. It's interesting that sometimes the tags will show up in Windows Explorer and Media Player and sometimes they will not. I have not been successful using J River to tag WAVs and am using another program. I have over 64,000 mp3s, and if I decide to get the Sony I don't think I'll transfer them all at one time! : ) I've read that the transfer is slow, especially using a wireless connection.

I gave up tagging WAV files and just use a combination of .AIFF and FLAC = success!

Update: I purchased the Sony HAP-Z1ES and am amazed at the quality of both the audio and build! One of the best purchases ever! I want to compare the sound quality to my Oppo BDP-105D (analog out). I've read countless reviews of people having to wait and wait transferring files. Maybe they're in a hurry because I thought it was fast enough, and the HAP software and audio remote app work great as well.
I have two questions: 1) With the new update an external CD drive can be connected directly to the USB port in order to rip CDs to FLAC or WAV. Is there a list of compatible CD drives available? I have an LG Blu-ray/DVD drive (that is USB powered) and would like to try it, but not sure, and 2) can the Sony support an external 2TB drive? I was thinking about getting a 1TB, but a 2TB Western Digital is only be $30 more.
Best regards!

Update: I purchased the Sony HAP-Z1ES and am amazed at the quality of both the audio and build! One of the best purchases ever! I want to compare the sound quality to my Oppo BDP-105D (analog out). I've read countless reviews of people having to wait and wait transferring files. Maybe they're in a hurry because I thought it was fast enough, and the HAP software and audio remote app work great as well.
I have two questions: 1) With the new update an external CD drive can be connected directly to the USB port in order to rip CDs to FLAC or WAV. Is there a list of compatible CD drives available? I have an LG Blu-ray/DVD drive (that is USB powered) and would like to try it, but not sure, and 2) can the Sony support an external 2TB drive? I was thinking about getting a 1TB, but a 2TB Western Digital is only be $30 more.
Best regards!
Unfortunately the Z1ES will not work reliably with a drive that bus powered. I tried two different drives that was bus powered, and the results was not good. So I guess you need a drive with external power in order for it to work flawlessly. I love my unit too!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom