1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sony handycam problems

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by natec, Mar 23, 2005.

1. natec

natec

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    alright so i have the sony handycam dcrpc1 and im having some big problems with it. everytime i put the battery in(fully charged) and turn it on, it will go on, and then say "for infoLITHIUM battery only" then turn off. i bought the same battery too and it didnt work eaither. this is the first time the original battery has never worked. both batteries are infolithium s types. what do you think i should do? i really need this camcorder to work within the next 2 days. im even thinking about pawning this one and just get a new one.
    thanks lot for any feedback

2. thebrummy_one

thebrummy_one

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I had a similar problem when I first brought my sony cam. I brought a spare, none sony battery that didn't work. I took it back to the shop and changed it. The fault was with the battery.
    It may be you have two dud batteries. :suicide:

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,389
    Try cleaning the contacts between the battery and the camcorder with a pencil rubber. The cam will interogate the battery, but if it can't due to a poor connection then it will not work.

Mark.

4. GTX_SlotCar

GTX_SlotCar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Li-Ion batteries last longer than older technologies partially because they develope a thin passivation layer on their electrode surfaces. However, they can sometimes develope a thick passivation layer and problems will occur. Increased storage times, among other things, may cause this. The most common symptom is that the battery will appear to be fully charged, but last only a few seconds in use.
    To attempt to clear the problem, the battery needs to go through several charge/discharge cycles. You can discharge it in your camcorder by leaving it in camera mode. Make sure there's no tape in it or it will auto-shutoff prematurely. The best method to discharge the battery (best chance of a successful resurrection) is with a resistor across the battery terminals. A 10 ohm, 10 watt resistor should work fine. These are available in the US at Radio Shack stores.
    Fully charge the battery in your camcorder or stand-alone charger. Take the battery out and place the resistor across it's terminals. The resistor will get hot while the battery is discharging, but will feel cool to the touch when it's discharged as low as it's circuitry will allow. So, when the resistor feels cool (room temperature), charge it again. When it's fully charged, test it in the camcorder. Sometimes the battery life will be a few minutes longer with each successive cycle, sometimes it won't. You may have to go through 2 to 5 cycles to bring the battery back to full capacity. If you have gone through 10 cycles without luck, it's probably time to give up.
    You can find more information about this HERE
    Li-Ion batteries should last about 2 years.
    Store your battery in a charged state. It'll last longer.
    Even new batteries can have a thick passivation layer.

Hacking batteries can be hazardous. Don't blame me if you hurt yourself.