Sony Handycam mode switch not staying in camera mode

golenman123

Novice Member
Recently I took the front of my Sony CCD-TR620E Handycam in order to clean some gunk behind the crevices including behind the mode selector switch. After cleaning everything and putting it back together I noticed that the switch moved extremely smoothly now in comparison to before. Whenever I put it into player mode it stays in said mode no problem. However, whenever I put it into camera mode it has troubles staying in it. Sometimes it will instantly switch back to off mode once I release the switch and other times it will stay but any medium shock or fast upward movement will switch it back to off mode. I tried searching for a service manual in case I put it back together wrong but can't seem to find any. Anyone know what could be causing this problem?

mikes48

Distinguished Member
Could you have missed/overlooked/lost a spring when you dismantled it - possibly a small strip of spring steel with a 'hump' it, which would hold the rotating switch in the desired position? There would be a corresponding notch in the switch - or even two; one for Play and one for Camera.

Just a thought :).

golenman123

Novice Member
Could you have missed/overlooked/lost a spring when you dismantled it - possibly a small strip of spring steel with a 'hump' it, which would hold the rotating switch in the desired position? There would be a corresponding notch in the switch - or even two; one for Play and one for Camera.

Just a thought :).
I remember hearing something drop but when I looked it couldn't find anything. Today I looked around all over the floor and found this weird metal bracket with a hump in it. Could this be the thing responsible for keeping the switch in place?

Attachments

• 16442583240874663619645653874314.jpg
    16442583240874663619645653874314.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 11
  • 16442583392538051726721465723790.jpg
    16442583392538051726721465723790.jpg
    520.1 KB · Views: 12

mikes48

Distinguished Member
Could well be, it's the sort of thing I was thinking of.

I think you'll have to strip the switch down again and have a good look at where it might fit.

Look for a notch on some moving part of the selector switch/toggle which would coincide with the bump.

If it is the missing part there would be locating slits in the area where the 'tails' at each end would/could slip into, with the bump facing out towards the sliding part of the selector - but equally, if the spring fits into the slider itself it could be the other way round - should be obvious which.

If it does the job, give the notch a good clean and put a little smear of silicone lubricant, or Vaseline on the mating surfaces before final re-assembly.

Be patient, look at all the bits, closely, from all angles, and don't force anything unduly.

Good luck!

golenman123

Novice Member
Could well be, it's the sort of thing I was thinking of.

I think you'll have to strip the switch down again and have a good look at where it might fit.

Look for a notch on some moving part of the selector switch/toggle which would coincide with the bump.

If it is the missing part there would be locating slits in the area where the 'tails' at each end would/could slip into, with the bump facing out towards the sliding part of the selector - but equally, if the spring fits into the slider itself it could be the other way round - should be obvious which.

If it does the job, give the notch a good clean and put a little smear of silicone lubricant, or Vaseline on the mating surfaces before final re-assembly.

Be patient, look at all the bits, closely, from all angles, and don't force anything unduly.

Good luck!
That was the part that I was missing. The switch no longer slides as smoothly but is still smoother than before the cleaning and it actually stays in the camera mode and doesn't budge unless I manually switch it. Thanks for your reply as without if I wouldn't have looked for the bracket and would've had to deal with the slipping switch. 👍

The latest video from AVForums

Paramount + UK launch: Halo, Star Trek and Beavis, and all the latest 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom