Sony Handycam HDR-XR500 Shoe

aggiezg05

Novice Member
Reaction score
I am having trouble locating an adapter to the HDR-XR500 shoe that will allow me to attach universal equipment on it. I purchased one off of Amazon and it is too big. Please help.

You will probably have to buy directly from Sony.

My main reason for not buying Sony stuff was their stupid trick of ensuring that the customer would be tied to buying their (often expensive) kit. No problem with Panasonic who IMO make equally as good cameras. (I was going to say better - but it will only upset Harry.:oops:)

No worries Terfyn . . . .+ HNY . . .
I recall you suggested a Velbon Tripod - is this still good? - do these have a quick-release plate?...are these plates robust, or "plasticy" it's about time I replaced a rather-short Velbon which suffered a leg-malfunction ( now repaired )....

..........................................................................................

Hi aggiezg05 - welcome
Is this a recent purchase? I understand it's a HDD camcorder...
+ Also, can you say what you want to attach?
Since, IMHO many accessories are better separated from the camcorder.... due to
positioning,
effect and
weight.
...Good Luck...
.........................................................................................

I agree Sony can be "naughty" over accessories . . . even to the ( JOKEY ) supplying a USB adaptor so I can connect their USB to a "real USB" - surely USB means it conforms to recognised "standard" - but this doesn't stop me putting the SD card into my PC.... avoiding the USB issue altogether.
I think Sony is one of those manufacturers that don't want "loyalty" - so that parts bought for an earlier model can be a "reason-for-purchase"
If you block this, then the Buyer has the option for a fresh-start and may well go elsewhere. It's a failure of Marketing to understand that a "new customer" is far more difficult to grab, with there being so many alternatives aligning ( and confusing) the Market.
What this does is muddy the water . . . and this Buyer just waits another year, knowing that better-kit is "Round the corner".

I recall you suggested a Velbon Tripod - is this still good? - do these have a quick-release plate?...are these plates robust, or "plasticy" it's about time I replaced a rather-short Velbon which suffered a leg-malfunction ( now repaired )....
I have the D700 which is from my Hi-8 days, it is heavy and robust. Yes it has a quick release plate which snaps into place with a little pressure on a release pin, it is made of pretty solid plastic.
Unfortunately it was designed for much heavier cameras, my old Sony balanced well on the head. The Panasonic is too light to compensate for the weight of the panhead handle. I have balanced this with a Focus Rail Slider/Camera Flash Support Plate that changes the centre of balance.
The tripod is heavy to lug around so I only carry it in the car boot.

Thanks, the issue I have is my Manfrotto is the weight of a small child - even by car, it's heavy to take places, . . . I can "forget" I have it!
..... to the extent for a hall-based Xmas jaunt, I used the partly broken/repaired Velbon. wishing it was slightly taller, to avoid walk-by folks wrecking a video-shot.
I may have to make this extender . . . something about 14" with its own tilting arrangement, so I can adjust it without a long stretch. I plan to give it a 90deg fitting, so it can be used as an "overhang" ( over a table/flowerbed/pond ). Of course this will increase instability . . . so my list of "suitable" will be those with braces; although spreaders seem to be what Pro's use. (& like my Manfrotto.).
It's taken over my thoughts for a new Car and Camcorder, one with decent Stills ability.(10-20Mpx), which rules out real Pro-gear . . . Also I want built-in ND filter(s) for shallow DoF - which appears to be a must-have pro-feature!
However, I've considered buying a Lens, for my NEX5 ( OK no audio jacks, but the mic is very good -and- I have a Palmtrack( Zoom Equiv.) for real audio.
There's a nice Sony E f/4 9-blade zoom-lens for about £400 - but whilst it has real focus/zoom scales ( !) it lacks ND, so clearly it's from the Stills-designer department, despite raving about the silent focus/zoom.... Yes, I know I can add ND . . .
.....and it will need a good tripod.
. . the advantage of this route is that as a new design it should be good for 4K when I buy the next body.
Yet there are good 4K camcorders with ND filters and all the Audio features....
2017 is going to be a difficult year.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom