Sony Handycam HDR XR260. Should I upgrade or better learn the capabilities of this cam?

Wilba

Novice Member
Hello all. I have resurrected a Sony handycam HDR XR260, which got used back around 2012 and then put away in mothballs for all this time. I am doing some filming now in semi retirement with a horse trainer and the handycam has been quite useful. I am only just learning how to use it again but had a couple of questions that may influence me to stay with the handycam or upgrade to a more modern Handycam or similar. The main issues I have at the minute centre around stability and whether I want wireless connection.
1. Is a tripod (with remote control for zoom and on/off operation) a suitable solution? I have to be able to follow the action with as little movement as possible.
2. Are there good alternatives in new equipment that would give me enough upgrades in technology to make it more worthwhile to buy new?
3. We do use a portal for instant delivery of film to clients, so having the wireless capability is a big bonus if it works well. It may be available on the Sony but I don't see that capability anywhere.
4. Do current handycams have the capability (like current Iphones) to cancel out a lot of movement that would therefore assist filming of moving horses but also in still interview type scenarios?

NB., I also have to convert M2ts format on the finished film to a MP4 for use on the portal. Not a big inconvenience but also a small thing to consider. Operator skill and knowledge may also be an issue :)

stearman65

2012 is very old technology wise. Depends whether you PC /Laptop is up to date technology. Your best solution is to get an up to date camera & PC/laptop. One or other is going to fail soon. IMO.

Wilba

Novice Member
2012 is very old technology wise. Depends whether you PC /Laptop is up to date technology. Your best solution is to get an up to date camera & PC/laptop. One or other is going to fail soon. IMO.
Thanks for that reply. My home computer is right up to date and has helped me "modernize" the old handycam. With that being said, the video images from the Sony have been very good but my ability to hold it dead still gives me just a good to very good finished product instead of excellent.

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom