Sony GX700 progressive compatible with JVC LT-26C31?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Bloomsburybill, May 10, 2005.

1. Bloomsburybill

Bloomsburybill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have recently acquired a Sony RDR GX700 DVD recorder. I am very pleased with it in general. One minor glitch, however, is that when I output progressive through the component video cables to my LCD television (JVC LT-26C31), the colours look washed out. The picture seems significantly less good than when I use RGB through a SCART. However, I have used progressive from a previous DVD recorder (a JVC DR-M10) with an excellent picture, so I think that the progressive input to the TV is working correctly.

When I looked in the Sony manual, it mentioned cryptically that this machine is not compatible with the progressive input to all TVs, and that Sony Customer Services would be able to tell me about compatibility. However, when I e mailed Sony they said that the GX700 should work with any progressive compatible TV.

Does anyone happen to have tried progressive scan between these two machines?

Is progressive supposed to be universally compatible, as the Sony guy said?

2. apj30

apj30

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Bill,

Don't have that particular configuration, no.

But I do use progressive component output on the GX700 into a Sony Plasma screen and the picture quality is excellent.

Do you have any other devices you can connect the recorder to for testing?

Thanks,

Andy

3. Bloomsburybill

Bloomsburybill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unfortunately not. :(

4. Bloomsburybill

Bloomsburybill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :oops: I can't make up my mind about my progressive. Everyone seems to say that (in spite of what the manuals say) progressive should work between any two pieces of kit that say that they are compatible.

I have spent some more time reviewing this problem in my set-up. The most telling abnormality is the brightness of a black screen. Turn progressive off, and the screen is as dark when the picture is delivered through the component leads as it is when using S-video via a SCART. Turn the progressive on, however, and the black lightens to grey. This makes is obvious why most picture look a bit washed out: the whole grey scale is compressed by the fact that the 'black' is so bright. This was not a problem with this TV when using progressive from a JVC DR-M10, nor from Sony's own GX210. If anyone has any views as to whether this is likely to be a generic incompatibility between these two particular models (in which case I'll live with it), or a fault with my particular machine (in which case I'll send it back), I would be very grateful if they would let me know!