Sony GX7 component question. Help!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by CLH, Jun 23, 2004.

1. CLH

CLH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I'm looking to buy a Toshiba TV with component input so will use the component out on my GX7.

To do so will mean I have to turn the RGB scart off and component on.

My Sky+ box currently runs through my GX7 (to use the RGB in).

Will the RGB pass through the Sky+ box and exit through the component outputs and will auto switching still operate.

OR do I have to select component out every time I want to watch a DVD and use RGB for Sky+ passthrough????

2. Quinny

Quinny
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    CLH,

I see that you've had no replies. Did you ever manage to get an answer to this question? I am looking to do the same thing albeit to a plasma screen and wouldlike to know if I too will have to change from COMPONENT to RGB every time I want to watch sky. I could get a scart splitter and feed one signal to the the GX7 and the other to Input 1 on the Plasma. I would prefer not to have to do this obviously. Any comments would be helpful.

3. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,267
    Yes, I'm afraid so. The Sony models (both the GX3 and GX7) require BOTH the input and ouput RGB sockets to be disabled if you use the Component Output. It's a known limitation of the machines.

I should stress if you haven't yet brought the DVD recorder then you might like to consider the Toshiba, JVC and Panasonic models that do allow this (and with progressive scan as well). If you already have the DVD recorder there isn't much to be done, although you can be content that both Sony models do offer excellent PQ.

4. CLH

CLH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Thanks Rasczak, that's a great shame!!!!

Ah well. Looks like will have to turn it on and off all the time. A bit annoying but will keep it till something with equal PQ comes along). Might be a while!

5. Quinny

Quinny
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    CLH,

I have some good news for you. It does work as I tried it last night with the COMPONENT output to my Plasma. All OK. No need to change the Input or disable the INPUT and OUTPUT. I also posted your thread on the Plasma and LCD forum as I wanted to do the same as you and feed to my Pio 434. The thread is below.

Good luck.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138704

6. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,267
    That's very interesting - are you 100% sure you are receiving an RGB picture input and not composite? When I had the GX3 for test if you selected Component Out the RGB input/output option was greyed out preventing you from selecting it.

7. CLH

CLH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Quinny, that's fantastic news.

Rasczak, I don't know if this makes a difference but I recall that the GX7 merely says RGB OUT rather than IN/OUT.

Perhaps that's an additional feature over the GX3.

Quinny, can you confirm (perhaps by viewing in composite) that it isn't composite being passed through??

8. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,267
    Indeed. I'll be very interested to know as my next DVD recorder will probably be this Winter's Sony RX10 and is likely to be the same. Have you tried selecting the Component Video option? Or do you actually lack that type of connection at the moment?

9. CLH

CLH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    At the moment I can't. Waiting to get a Panasonic TX-36PD30 in the week (hope I get a good one).

Then I'll give it a whack.

I'm guessing that I will need a stereo audio lead as well from Sky+ to the TV. Hope they stay in sync!

10. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,267
    Can you post back whether it works or not?

11. Quinny

Quinny
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll have to check this out when I get home tonight. You can't input/output RGB on AV1 as I recall when you select Component but you can with AV3 (this is where the SKY+ is connected).

CLH - I connected a spare scart from AV1 on the GX7 into the Plasma to get the sound. No need for additional phonos.

I'll let you know when I get home and have checked this out. You've got me doubting myself now. Have a look at the post on the Plasma site (link below) from Joe. He seems to think that this is possible too.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138704

12. CLH

CLH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Sounds good, I can pop out and get a new decent scart now and some component leads. Same as what I'd needed anway I suppose but at least I don't have to faff around with phonos (which are missing from the back of the TV anyway).

So basically, Scart from Sky+ into AV3, Scart out to AV1 for sound from Sky/DVD and component out to allow Sky+/DVD picture. I'm guessing I need to override something to stop it auto selecting AV1 scart all the time but allow sound in from it.

Oh, hang on. If AV1 is turned off for picture will it still allow sound??

13. Quinny

Quinny
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You have summarised it well. AV1 does allow sound as this is the only connection I have from the GX7 to the Plasma and this works. As I said earlier I'm not 100% sure that it's a Component picture. However the Plasma tells me it is. I will see what I can find out tonight.

I have told the Plasma that it's input (Input 3) should expect a Component input (as opposed to RGB or Composite). If I then select RGB out from the GX7 there is no picture but there is sound. Re-setting to Component brings the picture back as you would expect. I haven't tried the same with Composite but will give it a go tonight. I guess my message is proceed with caution but my experience and Joe's reply seem to indicate that Component is outputted.

14. CLH

CLH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Cool, sounds like the ideal solution. Let me know how it goes!

15. Quinny

Quinny
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Re-checked tonight. I made sure that I configured the GX7 to expect RGB/Video on AV3 (from SKY+). You can not then output RGB on AV1 but as you are using Componet it's not an issue. All OK. I tried viewing the Composite picture against the Component picture and it was very much different. Also the Plasma noticed that the picture input had changed to PAL not Component. I also tried the same with RGB against Composite and the Plasma also noticed the difference between RGB and PAL. So that's that sorted then.

I telephoned Sony technical help for some advice before I got home but was unconvinced by the chap on the other end. He said that it couldn't be done as there was no converter between RGB and Component. He also then topped this off by saying that Composite was the worst picture followed by RGB, then Componet with S-Video being the best. So that's his advice ignored. He said that S-Video was the best picture on more than one occasion.

What you will find however is that the GX7 needs to be on whilst you are viewing the picture via Component. Via RGB the unit can be left off.

I hope that this helps you. If you need me to try anything else then please ask.

16. CLH

CLH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    That might be the main problem. Telling the wife both have to be on all the time.

Might just go for selecting component when I'm in charge of the remote.