1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony Gx300 / Gx700 / Hx900

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by ukroadster, Jan 13, 2005.

1. ukroadster

ukroadster
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Hi

I want to replace my pioneer dv656 with one of the above. Not concerned about the feature list - I know the differences in spec from the reviews and this forum and that the 900 has a hard drive etc.

What is important to me is normal dvd playback - Picture and sound quality.i.e I will buy the 900 if picture and sound quality are better regardless of a hard drive or not.

Anyone know how these compare to the DV656 for dvd and cd playback and the big question is:

Although the video specs (Dacs) look the same in the spec , does the gx700 have better sound stages than the GX300 and the hx 900 better than the gx700 or is the picture and sound quality trhe same with only the features different.

Final question please, does the rdr gx7 (earlier model) have PAL progressive scan out.

Thanks for any info as its hard to demo these players anywhere.

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,217
    The performance between the GX300 and GX700 is minimal. In picture quality terms there is little to distinguish them. The GX700 dominates over the GX300 for audio performance though - largely due to the better build quality - CD Audio is particularly stronger on the 700.

Disc access times seem slightly faster on the GX700 although DVD-RW features are still sluggish compared to other models. Other than that the differences are those in features which you already know of.

The HX900 and HX1000 have similar build quality and performance to the GX700.

No.

3. ukroadster

ukroadster
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Thanks Rasczak - I was hoping you would reply having read your excellent guide page and your posts, and knowing that you have actually had hands on experience of the sony recorders.

The rdr gx7 is definately out as no pal prog scan.

The gx300 is out as I suspected that there must be something more to the gx700 than just i -link for the price differential and I dont want to sacrifice sound quality compared to my dv656 which is good via its digital out with films, although not a very good cd player to be honest

So its a toss up between the gx700 and the HX900.

I have read another user review on the gx700 that said the picture was as good as my dv656 - what do you think ?

Do you know if the gx700 has the same brushed aluminium type finish as the hx900 - its difficult to tell from the pics i have seen - looks more like a plain silver. The brushed aluminium would match my denon 2805 nicely.

Even though I have SKY+ and have no intention of editing from a camcorder etc do you still think it would be wise to buy the hx900 with the hard drive - ease of transferring from sky+ when full, archiving a view videos and thinking ahead.

Thanks

Andy

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,217
    I have never used the DV656 so it's hard to say. The GX700 certainly is one of the best DVD recorders for playing DVDs though.

No it doesn't

If you want to make editted recordings that are compatible with other DVD players (without using a PC) then go for the HDD/DVDR - if not go for the GX700.

5. dejongj

dejongj
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,481
    Sorry to jump in but I would not even consider any of those for CD playback. Absolutely awful and any £150 player would blow them out. So unless you are really stuck for space, forget it...
    I find the CD-soundquality absolutely terrible in my GX300, movie sound is a different story altogether, very good. Picture quality stunning and here is the icing on the cake there is a built-in up-converter and line-doubler. By accident I was watching Sky through the DVD player and noticed it is was PAL-Progressive out!!!
    If you are not interested in editing, if you are not interested in i-Link, then there is only one logical choice, the GX300...I think mine is great!

Just get a seperate CD-player with the change...

6. ukroadster

ukroadster
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Thanks for the response dejongj.

Have you heard the gx700 in direct comparison like rasczak or are your comments regarding cd playback based on the general concensus that most dvd players make poor cd players.

I do agree that dvd players are pretty poor with cd playback, the dv656 includied -its dull and lifeless. I have a 200 disc kenwood multichanger (albeit the top of the range one with lacquered wood sides) which murders the pioneer for cd playback.

I intend to use the kenwood for most of my cd playback (hidden out of the way with a long optical cable or long analogue leads) with the sony for occasional use.

However what i have found is that the digital outputs of different dvd players are not created equal and this is the area I am most concerened with.

I originall had a dv535 which sounded very good , if a touch harsh though the digital output. I then bought a dv454, after being told there was no differnce in sound (via digital) between it and a dv656. I got the dv454 home and it was no where near as good as the dv535 so swaped it for the dv656 which is a vast improvement. I recently had a sony dvl d950 dvd/vcr (got it free) and that sounded really harsh and weak via its digital output.(same amp used for all)

My experience is that cheaper model dvd players digital outputs definately do not sound as good as higher priced models (in most cases).

Therefore there is a good possibility that the gx700 or hx900 also sound better through the digital output than the gx300 (subtle tweeks here and there) but its impossible to know without hearing both and demos do not seem available.

However if you have, in fact, compared both through the digital outputs and you are saying they sound the same then perhaps the gx300 is the wiser.

I believe rasczak has done this comparison and is saying the gx700 and hx900 have superior sound ( not just cd playback via analogue but all sound output from the digital output.

Space is a little limited at the moment, which is why i wanted a dvd recorder - to get rid of the VCR, (the kenwood multiplayer is hidden down the side of the sofa).

Any comments welcome.

Anyone know if the gx700 and hx900 digital outputs do sound better than the gx300.

Thanks
    Andy

7. dejongj

dejongj
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,481
    No, I have no direct comparison so can't confirm that. The point that I was making is that in that if sound is so important to you, you should use the change for a seperate CD player...But as you state space is at a premium so that may not be an option...

Good luck in your hunt...