Sony GX300 and sky+ set-up help

E

Elvis

Just got myself a Sony GX300 to archive some of my Sky+ recordings and I'm having a nightmare getting it to record from Sky

I have a Panasonic 42PA20 plasma, the sony and a Sky+ box. After initially setting it up manually I tried a recording from the Sky+ planner onto a DVD and it worked perfectly. But the annoying 'easy set-up' screen kept appearing every time I switched on the Sony so I let it do its auto set-up thing hoping it would then disappear. Unfortunately the Sony now seems unable to record Sky. I figured the easy set-up screwed with something so I've tried going back to factory settings but still no joy.

On the Sony I have:
Line 3 scart connected to the Sky+ box - Sky+ box Set to RGB out
Line 1 Scart connected to the plasma (AV1)
Component out connected to the plasma (AV4) - but component out is not turned on in the System Menu on the sony

Aerial/Terrestrial is connected directly to the plasma.

The video settings in the Sonys' System Menu are set to:
Line 1 Output - RGB
Line 3 Input - Video/RGB
Line 4 Input - Video (But no connections to the socket)

I can view sky when the sony is switched off (using scart pass-through I guess) but turn on the unit and hit record and it will only take the aerial picture (which must somehow be getting from the plasma to the sony?!!). It's as if the Sony is not receiving any picture from the Line 3 Scart (But will pass it through when off?). If I disconnect the Aerial lead from the plasma and try to record I just get static. I can't find any way to get it to record the picture on the Line 3 scart (the sky+ box).

I've spent hours pouring over the manual and changing settings but nothing seems to work, I know it must work somehow because 'A' -I've done it once already and 'B'-This is exactly what it's supposed to do.

Any advice would be most welcome.

TIA

D'oh!
Ok, I feel like a moron right about now. Since my previous post I have discovered the 'Input Select' button under the slider at the bottom of the remote and changed the input to Line 3 - Now it works fine. Using the Easy Set-up must have changed this option without alerting me. Very helpful.

Anyway I'm back to being able to record from Sky and I've set up the component out with prog scan for some truly impressive picture quality when watching DVD's. I was pleased to discover that when the Sony GX300 is turned off the Scart passthrough still works in RGB mode, even though RGB is disabled (In favour of Component out) when it's turned on.

Despite the teething problems I'm very happy with the unit. Playback picture quality is far better than my aging Sony DVP-NS300. Recordings (at higher quality levels) seem very good too.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom