1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony GX3 or Pioneer 220

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by AlexR, Jul 20, 2004.

1. AlexR

AlexR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello

Having read this forum over the last month, I've come to the conclusion that I need either a Sony GX3 or Pioneer 220. I've decided to purchase a DVD writer for my PC for camcorder footage and will wait for Telewest to match Sky+ (admittedly, could be a long wait!). I have a girl of 2 who will be able to reach the recorder !! I also have another DVD player, in another room, that does not support DVD-RAM.

I do need RGB In and Out.

Should I buy a Sony GX3 now or wait for the Pioneer 220? Any opinions on quality or noise would be appreciated. Is there any other machines I should look at.

Any help appreciated.

Regards
    Alex

2. kingsize

kingsize

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Purchased the GX3 one week ago after 2 years of misery with a Philips 880.

Superb build quality, silent running, fantastic record and playback picture quality, v. good quality on extended record modes, very legible display on main unit, best remote control I have used...

As to disc editing DVD-RW in VR mode is superb and intuitive; DVD+RW is stripped down (ie no a-b edits, more linear type of recording) but still very good.

Compatablity vey good. RGB in and out.

Honestly, cant reccommend it highly enough.

Hope this helps.

3. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,257
    Of the two the Sony GX3 is the superior machine quality-wise: it has a high quality DAC, component output (interlaced only) and is, of course, dual format. However the Pioneer has numerous features above and beyond the Sony:
    - Time-Slip & Chasing Playback
    - Disc navigation thumbnail chapter view
    - NTSC/PAL Recording
    - MP3 and WMA playback (on CD-R)
    - Jpeg Photo Viewer (including support for Kodak CD and Fuji Colour CD)
    Crucially the Pioneer also has more recording modes - it has 32 in all - whereas the Sony only has 6.

Toshiba DR2 might be worth a look - will have full RGB input/output and support DVD-RW, DVD-R and DVD-RAM - but this might be a month or so before release yet.

Be aware of the new Sony models on the horizon as well - these will be effectively the same as the GX3/GX7 but will offer Timeslip (on DVD-RW only) and DVD+R recording. They will likely be expensive though whereas the Sony GX3 is now available at (almost) normal DVDR prices. The new machines will be announced in September.