Sony GX3 or GX7 & i.Link DV input - is it essential??? Any alternative inputs?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by TP2K, Oct 9, 2003.

1. TP2K

TP2K
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all...

Considering a purchase of one of the Sony DVD Recorders, the GX3 or GX7. The only difference between the two (apart from the ulti +/- issue) seems to be the GX7 has an i.Link DV input - at a premium of some £200+!

Now, having just purchased a Panny NVDS60 camcorder, I am considering if it is essential to have this DV input?

I assume, it would basically mean I get a digital copy of my home-movie onte DVD-R, right? Can I do it another way? Is it advisable to do it any other way?

Thanks if you can shed some light/opinions on this one!

2. PhilipL

PhilipL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +421
    Hi

Firewire or I-Link is a connection method that transfers DV video to the recorder digitally. This doesn't go directly onto the disc unchanged, but is trans-coded (compressed further) to DVD MPEG like everything else.

It is convenient as it is only one connection, and depending on your camcorder you can control it from the Sony.

As for quality differences there may not be as much as you would think between digital and an S-Video connection.

The problem with DV Video straight from the camera is its shear quality and sharpness (resolution). This makes it more difficult to compress. If you pass the video by S-Video, this acts like a high band filter, removing some detail, this is easier to encode.

When I have tested the differences between Firewire and S-Video I haven't found it that great, with the picture slightly worse in both cases than the source using the best recording quality, as nothing for the consumer matches DV Video for quality.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Philip