1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony Grand Wega KDF-60XS955 LCD Projection

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by cableguy, Jan 16, 2005.

1. cableguy

cableguy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After saving money for years and waiting for the right tv I finally walked into a bestbuy in Canada and witnessed what i thought was the best tv I ever seen as far as picture and design. So I dropped nearly 8 grand canadian dollars into this tv and had it shipped to my home.

Now in the store the tv was on a HD channel obviously to start with but it still stood out from the rest to me, so then I viewed it on normal satellite feed in the store and it also stood out as picture perfect. So now when I finally got it in my house I hooked it to a dishnetwork 3100 reciever and a hughes dtv reicever, I used S video cables and audio cables for both recievers and hooked them directly to the backm dishnetwork to video1 and dtv to video3. My recievers are not HD recievers but they are still digital satellite feed and on my 27 inch old junker tv the picture was always clear and good.

So now I got it all hooked up and ready to turn it on and be the talk of the town with my new big screen but to my surprise the picture is blurry, its not horrible but its just got that slight blur to it enough to pizz you off and annoy you. it also has a shadow on letters and peoples heads on certain channels and different camera angles. All close up camera shots are average but all far away cmaera shots are just horrible. I have now watched a basketball game and a nfl playoff game today and the sporting events are worse than anything and i was totally disgusted with the quality and embarrsed to invite friends over after I been bragging to them at how awsome it would be.

I have messed with all the settings and nothing seems to make it like it should be. I paid forwhat i thought was top of the line tv to only have it look like a below average walmart special tv. I am using brandd new s video cables top of the lineall recievers and dvd player all go directly to the tv nothing is hooked together so I would not think its a cable issue or interference issue.

I would appreciate some advise on either how to set it up correctly and fic the problem or advise on what to tell the store I bought it from. Should I take it back? do you think there is something wrong with it? Iveread alot of reviews before buying it and they all said amwzing things and again when i seen it it was amazing to me to but now im so angry i could beta the livin hell outof someone.

please help

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,975
    Am I right in thinking that you've just gone from a 27 inch TV up to a 60 inch TV?

Without actually seeing your set, I can't really offer a specific view. However here are some more general observations:

You have to recognise that the amount of detail that can intrinsically be carried in a regular NTSC TV signal is quite low; there are only 480 horizontal lines of vertical resolution and (depending on the source) up to 720 vertical columns of horizontal resolution. Displaying a limited amount of detail at a large size is inevitably going to be compromised to some extent.

A regular TV actually displays 480 discrete horizontal lines. You get an "impression" of sharpness on a smallish regular TV from

a) the fact it is small
    b) the gaps between the lines actually give an impression of detail
    c) the fairly coarse grid structure of the screen gives an impression of sharpness.

Moving on to your new set; given a regular TV signal, it has to both enlarge it (compared to your 27 incher), and also fill in the gaps between the horizontal lines - otherwise they would be far, far too visible. On your new set, the grid structure is much finer, and scanlines won't be visible at all. So it interpolates. An interpolated image can give an impression of greater detail, and/or it can look soft.

The trick is, to watch it from a sensible distance; look at it right up close and you will see the limitations of NTSC.

Also - if the TV has any proprietary noise reduction feature - turn it off. If it has any sharpness control, turn it to the neutral pisition (which may be centre, or bottom - I don't know which).

There are other reasons why satellite and/or cable TV might look poorish at large sizes. Forgive me, but as a UK resident (as most are on here) I don't know much about the TV suppliers you mention. However, if the are digital platforms, this could also account for some of what you see.

If you get the chance, post what you find when watching DVD, and how it compares with TV.

3. cableguy

cableguy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    DVD is better but still not top leveland on certain shots still has blurryness and ghosting in some cases. Its defenitely not as crystal clear as it was in the store. Components cables for some odd reason will not work either as when i hook it up to video6 I get a screen of redish colors a really messed up picture so i have to use regular cables s video and audio cables.

I understand going from a 27 to a 60 may be different but my father has had a 60 inch for ever so im used to them and i did watch it in the store and it looked great in there. My father is a samsung it its 100 times better pic at the moment on the same satellite feed as me. In the store my set looiked better than his at home not the case.

Im beginning to think maybe there is a slight problem with the tv itself on the inside. If not i will have to return it for refund because its almost unwatchable during sporting events and thats all i watch.

4. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,975
    Well, I suppose that, if it's being driven with the same type of signal as when you saw it in the store, and it isn't performing as the one in the store did, it may well be defective. Assuming you've cabled it right, what you say about component certainly ain't right......