Sony Giga Juke NAS-S55HDE v Phillips MCI500H

Donny4w

Standard Member
Reaction score
I'm currently choosing between a Sony Giga Juke NAS-S55HDE and the Phillips MCI500H.

I've seen the Sony in operation in a store and was quite impressed. Obvious weaknesses were:

1) Only 80GB
2) Streaming Radio. Main unit is fine with DAB (no internet). Clients though are internet only - you can't stream the DAB or FM. But the internet radio is very restrictive; Live365 and Shoutcast. In simple terms you can't listen to live BBC Radio in any format on a client. Poor.

I know less about the Phillips. I believe it is internet only Radio (no DAB). Theoretically not a problem, but I don't feel comfotable with internet radio. May be my perception as opposed to reality. Has the bonus of 160GB.

When initially looking for these units, it was the ability to copy CD's and download music to a hard drive and listen to this around the house. The present of radio was a bonus. Having got the bonus it was a bit of a knock-back to find the Sony is poor in this area. However, I still prefer the Giga Juke.

What are other's opinions on my options? Is there another model to throw into the equation? Is there a completely different solution that better meet my needs?

A couple of points to consider. We are laptop users and therefore don't want a solution that requires a computer (excluding set-up, downloading etc) as part of the solution. I'm also looking at a video streaming solution (Sky, DVD and TiVo being streamed to TV's in other rooms). I don't mind solving that separately, but if you see any synergy from a joint solution that would be of interest to me.

I cannot answer all your queries, but I bought the Sony Giga Juke a couple of weeks ago after looking at the Phillips for a while. Sad I know, but I decided to go for the Sony because I preferred the look of it. Thought I had made a mistake at first because of the size of the hard drive. I have now put 256 cd's onto it and have only used 30% of the hard drive space at the 128 compression setting - and it sounds excellent.

I expected problems setting up network connectivity but it mostly went without a hitch, and the receiver which is next to my bed connected to the main unit like a dream.

What don't I like... switching between different functions e.g. cd option to hdd jukebox takes an age, even switching between artist and album lists gives me time to put the kettle on, even on the same session. I can only imagine that this will just get more and more annoying the longer I use it and the more the hard drive fills. Not sure if the Phillips is faster but it is worth finding out before you buy imo. Also as much as I try the unit does not find any external media if I try to backup the hard drive. I do not like the idea that the hd could fail at any time and I am without the backup. I have followed the backup procedure to the letter according to the instructions (which are not the best I have read) without any success at all.

That being said, I would buy the Sony over the Phillips again as the pros outweigh the cons.

I'm currently choosing between a Sony Giga Juke NAS-S55HDE and the Phillips MCI500H.

What are other's opinions on my options? Is there another model to throw into the equation? Is there a completely different solution that better meet my needs?

A couple of points to consider. We are laptop users and therefore don't want a solution that requires a computer (excluding set-up, downloading etc) as part of the solution. I'm also looking at a video streaming solution (Sky, DVD and TiVo being streamed to TV's in other rooms). I don't mind solving that separately, but if you see any synergy from a joint solution that would be of interest to me.

For £450 I'm pretty sure you could get a NAS and a squeezebox. This would at least be flexible/upgradeable and not stuck with big company proprietary problems.

I too have been looking at them and the big problem with the Sony is it only support WEP wireless security and not WPA. This is a bit no no for me and seems so stupid of Sony.

I would not worry about no DAB, i dont think there is a station on DAB that is not on the Internet (please correct me as I would love the extra BBC stations)

Last edited:
I have one of these and I am struggling to link it to my PC HD for back up. I have also tried backing up to my iomega usb HD but the system will not see it Any ideas? It works ok with my 8GB usb stick for transfer in and out. I read on here earlier that its possible to input your PC IP address rather than the PC name. I'm gonna try this next.
At first I was really dissapointed to find that the unit will not stream Dab or external inputs but I guess I should have done more research. I've had the system now since christmas and overall I'm pleased with it although the menu's and functionality could be better and faster and it is of no use when transfering music to the HD. I have seen the phillips unit and in my opinion its a bit flakey.

Hi Donny4w

Well I have just been through the exact same process as you... if you are still looking that is (old thread by now!)

In the end I went for the MCi500H and coupled it up with a WAS7500 wireless station. A decision that I am very happy about. I decided against the Sony for some of the reasons stated here.. i.e limited internet radio and no FM radio on the wirless station. Also the sound on the phillips is far better and the wirless station is really cool looking not the brick look of the sony.

I was tempted by the sony centres looks and tilted colour screen but the phillip 3 inch screen is easily good enough and the wirelss station's screen is also a 3 inch colour lcd rather than the BW on the sony's

The philips setup was done in a hour ish - the centre was happily contected to the wireless station & PC & intenet and transferred all my music 40 GB overnight... in the morning ...sorted!! I was listening to Radio 1 via the internet radio on the wireless station whilst eating my cornflakes the next morning! and have not stopped playing music in each room ever since .. I don't think I have ever used a Hi-Fi so much in 3 days!

Setting up of internet radio stations simple. Phillips provide you an online account to login to 'Club phillips' and you can manage the support of your device, adding listed internet radio station and even adding the URLS of others that are not listed IE all of the BBC Ones...

Pros:
  • The hard disc streamming is flawless
  • Navigation is snappy
  • Internet Radio is simple to setup
  • FM Tuner on wireless station (sony does not have)
  • Great forum community of users supporting each other at streaium cafe
  • great sound
  • 160 GB HD
  • Support for BBC internet radio braodcasts
  • continual stream of new firmware updates ... nothings perfect but at least Phillips seem to listen (ie BBC did not work but does now ... sony have not been as responsive )

Cons:
remote control is not the nicest of looking items but small enough to 'hide' in a pocket
quite slow to transfer music from PC to HD but only a prob first time to transfer a lot
mmmmm can't think of much else it really is cool!!

Out of interest ... how is it flakey??

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom