Sony Giga Juke...Coming to a store near you!

Discussion in 'Music Streamers' started by shezzy2k, May 1, 2007.

1. shezzy2k

shezzy2k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
  2. lazymatt

lazymatt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    AFAIK it doesn't support streaming from a PC though, so is limited IMHO.

3. baw_heed

baw_heed
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,

Did anyone ever work out if the Giga Juke hard drives can be upgraded? 80gb isn't much.

Is it just a case of connecting an external usb drive to it?

Thanks

4. Autopilot

Autopilot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,520
    The Hifidelio Pro still looks like a better product IMO. Crappy format support with the Sony too.

5. shezzy2k

shezzy2k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Neither are ready for prime time IMO. I got rid of my Hifidelio quite quickly due to remote control conflicts with the rest of my kit & upon further inspection, the Sony didn't cut it.

I've also had a week long home demo of the Arcam MS250 kindly provided by my local dealer last Christmas & was strangely underwhelmed by it. I found it a bit buggy, didn't actually like having the TV on to use it & was a bit disappointed by the build quality...maybe I was expecting a lot more for £3k...It did however sound good.

I'm actually thinking of getting a Sonos & probably would already have done so if they could store a hard disk instead of having to use external storage.

6. spl23

spl23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +385
    Buy a cheap NAS, such as the QNAP TS-209. I have 4 Sonos ZonePlayers in my house, and one of them sits next to the NAS with an Ethernet cable going between them. The advantage is that a hard drive is always going to be mechanically noisy, and Sonos+NAS means you can hide the hard drives in another room.

Sonos is a very polished product - you get no impression at all that it is half-finished, beta software. It just works - sounds fantastic, easy to use. Much as I'd like to have a single box media server solution that sits with my hi-fi, Sonos has numerous advantages.

7. shezzy2k

shezzy2k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    @ spl23,

Thanks for the info. I'm also taking a look at the Squeezebox Duo before I take the plunge, I am however more impressed with the Sonos thus far.

I have 700+ CD's inmy collection...how does the Sonos handle a library of this size...is there any slowdown?

8. Slenver

Slenver
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    No support for any decent modern formats at all. Where are all the lossless formats? Even AAC? Bizarre...

9. shezzy2k

shezzy2k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I guess that's Sony for you...& why I believe it just doesn't cut it.

10. spl23

spl23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +385
    I have over 1000 CDs on my NAS, all in Apple Lossless. The Sonos handles this with no trouble at all. Whenever you add tracks, you tell Sonos to rescan the library - this takes five or ten minutes the first time you do it, but subsequent rescans only take a minute or so. Once the library is scanned, browsing is as fast as you can turn the wheel - no slowdown at all.

This is one of the reasons I got rid of my Roku SoundBridge - every time you powered it up it had to reload the track list, which took 15-30 seconds. The Sonos is basically instant access - the only delay on mine is the time taken for the NAS to spin up if it has gone to sleep, and you can browse while that is happening.

The maximum number of tracks supported is 50,000 in the current version. I've managed to buy 1000 CDs since 1987, so I think this limit will probably do me for a good few years yet!