Sony G70 Questions

C

CogPaul

Our driving simulator is relocating in August (hurrah!) and they are changing to DLP projection at their new site - so I will be inheriting 3 x Sony G70's and 3 X Barco 808's.Having sold my NEC 9PG last year on the forum I am ashamed to admit I was considering going DLP TV but given the problems reported with some of these sets a rethink was in order!

Some tube wear, and evidence of a little screen burn on a couple of the units but regularly serviced etc - so looks like a return to CRT for me.

1) I know the G70 input accepts component but does it accept progressive scan? Installation manual not very clear on this issue.
2) Anyone with experience of using the DVI cards now available for the Sony series? and are they HDCP compliant?
3) Any particular issues with the G70 series - I am aware of firmware problems with G2 but any pointers to other potential problems would be appreciated.
4) My understanding is that 720p is the preferred resolution for the G70 - any comments?

Thanks in advance for the information

Paul

Paul,
Try this link:
http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110575
Don't know about the other questions, but I'm sure a solution to HDCP will present itself once it is necessary. I'm aware of DVI/HDCP cards for Electrohomes, so I'd expect Sony PJs to be supported, too.
Progressive scan input for G70? Of course - what else?
I'm sure everyone will say 720p or 768p input would be fine.
Now the key issue - how much for the ones you don't want?
regards, Nick

No personal experience with the G70 but they're immensely popular on AVS's CRT forum.

Only issue I can think of is that they supposedly throw a very bright image, but at the expense of wearing tubes faster than most CRT projectors. (Of course it's always possible to just turn down the contrast and thus make the tubes last longer)

Cheers,
Erling

Barco's look like they are toasted - over 9,000 hours in a sim ( they used to be the front units) so probably only usable for spareparts so I will see if any interest before I commit to taking them.

Sony's have around 4,000 hours, some tube wear but overall better than I expected. I will be keeping all three, one for use, one for spares and probably try and do a deal with the other one to cover the costs of getting the tubes sorted.

The only info I can dig up on the component inputs suggests 1080i and 480i/p - no mention of 576p or 720p - any one know the score on this?

They are also dumping a Silicon Graphics server - oh so tempted to have the biggest HCPC in the world!!! Can you imagine the fun that could be had on the HCPC forum with this.... It is the size of a large fridge freeezer and glows a spectacular blue.

Paul

I will be keeping all three, one for use, one for spares and probably try and do a deal with the other one to cover the costs of getting the tubes sorted

Or you could double stack two and keep the third for spares! :smashin:

Na use all three and keep your fingers crossed they never break down :D

james

At the moment I 've got enough on worrying about how I am going to get them out of the driving simulator and where I am going to put them at home!

Paul

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom