1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony G70 Focus Lenses

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by thesnake8686, Aug 8, 2005.

1. thesnake8686

thesnake8686

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

I'm trying to get some help with my focusing problem on my Sony G70. First off i'm running my g70 at 1080p, with a Lumagen Scaler. The blue lense seams badly out of focus I'm unable to clearly see the patters sharply and what ever i do to adjust the focus doesn't seam to work. The line in the convergance is almost twice as wide as the red and green. My red and green focus appears good as the picture is clear when i see the patterns. I'm new to this and i'm curiouse as how to quickly fix this.

There is the manual focus, moving the lense right and left, then there is a focus with 2 screws horizontal and vertical, and finally the defocus Mgfocus that is electronic. I'm not sure how to reset this lense !! I have a dalite cosmopolitan Screen 2.5 Gain, and the picture size is 160" Diaginal. I would appreciate what help can be provided. Also i'm looking for a link called "Holy Focus " from "Guy Kuo". I can't locate this member to review his advise. Does anyone know whe he is and where i can reach him. I can't find him or his article on this site.

Thank You so much for your help. Oh my lenses have only 1232 hours on it.

thanks.

2. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,117
    Unfortunatley I can't help you with your G70 focus, but Guy Kuo posts over on the US forum www.avsforum.com so look for him there, or if his post has been copied here, the search function might find it. I did have a quick look but no luck, so maybe it's called something else other than Holy Focus?.

If you try the US forum for it, you'll probably have to go to the archived section and use the search facility. Failing that, you could PM him.

Gary.

3. Godfather

Godfather

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +224
    I can't answer your question properly either but I do know for sure that 1080p is too high for the G70, even though it can display it. Most G70 owners use 720p which is generally considered optimal for this projector. 960p starts looking too soft and 1080p can only be worse.

4. JimmytheSaint

JimmytheSaint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    As Henry has pointed out, 1080P is really pushing your G70 beyond it's capabilities. Some have said that pushing the pj with too high a resolution can cause damage to your bandwidth circuits, so I would configure your Lumagen to 1440 x 768 for NTSC material and 852P for PAL.
    Initially when setting up the pj, configure it on the internal oscillation frequency P2, then once you have achieved correct focus, astig & mg focus, feed the G70 a signal from the Lumagen and setup as above for each input and memory block.
    The current 'expert' on the G70 is 'techman', who you can contact on the AVSForum as Guy has moved to the 'grey side' ;) .
    The thread you want will be this one
    If you need any more help just give me a shout, although I am away for a week or so.

Regards

Yas :)

5. Godfather

Godfather

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +224
    Yas, why 768 for NTSC and 852 for PAL rather than 720 and 864 (which are 1.5x 480 and 576)?

6. JimmytheSaint

JimmytheSaint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    Hi Henry

These are the resolutions I found to work best with both my 808S and G70. It has been a while since I used an 8', so you are right about the 864P (i.e. 1440 x 864).
    1440 x 768 seemed smoother and more optimal over 1280 x 720 (720P).

Regards

Yas :)

7. 008

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15