1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony FX77

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by Spunky, Mar 19, 2003.

1. Spunky

Spunky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just got this camera a few weeks ago, and have been playing around with it. All on all it a bloody good camera, its the first digi one i've had so i can't really compare it with any other.

The specs are here http://www.sonystyle-europe.com/ser...roupName=Cyber-Shot+Compact+F&path=ROOT_0_9_5 if anyone interested.

The only bad thing i've noticed about it is that theres no optical zoom- but i've never used it anyway on normal cameras, and the bluetooth functionality uses the obscure Basic imaging profile, which is supported by very few dongles- mainly sony viao one.
    Hopefully that'll change, and the size of this thing its bloody tiny.
    Brilliant stuff. If anyone need any more detail just ask.

Spunky

2. mr.nick

mr.nick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Got one too - nice bit of kit, good quality images and the bluetooth function works perfectly with my VAIO notebook.

3. Spunky

Spunky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Glad you like it,
    What software does the viao use to implement the BIP, on the camera? Is it just the 'bluespace' application that came with the viao or did you get a bluetooth dongle- if so which?. :confused:

Sorry for the questions but i've had mine for a while now and its driving me nuts trying to get it to talk to my pc (no its not a sony one).

Whats the remote camera function like, i've heared it shuts off after 3 hours or so, can you record from it straight to the pc too??????

Oooooo so many questions. :zonked:

Thanks,
    Spunky

4. mr.nick

mr.nick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Forgot about this thread! Don't mind answering a few questions...

My VAIO didn't come with bluetooth built in but I did buy the Sony USB dongle to be on the safe side and it works very well with the BlueSpace application, some minor annoyances but nothing too much.

The remote camera is cool in a geeky kind of way: when the program is in web cam mode it can be configured to upload still images to a specified website address at certain intervals - nice to show off but pretty limited in terms of usefulness. You can record video to the PC directly when the program is in movie mode although I've yet to try using this.

You need to download an updated "Smart Capture" program to make it work and yes it does switch off automatically after a set time - IIRC the manual says the camera shouldn't be used for CCTV like applications!

All in all I'm very pleased with the whole package and it's also a bonus that the FX77 is one of the few devices that natively supports the new MS Pro format.