1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony FX66 vs Philips 9527

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Carl G, Dec 31, 2002.

1. Carl G

Carl G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

With £1000 to spend which is the best choice when combined with an amp?

Sony FX66 or Philips 9527

These forums have a lot of praise for the Sony, and a lot of criticism for the Philips black lines, but the press (and awards love the Philips.)

Does anyone have any direct experience of both TV's?

Thanks for the help,

2. karl.g

karl.g
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I had an FX75 and have now got a 9527. I certainly thought the Sony was good, but had a lot of geometry problems and a blurred left hand side to the screen. The dealer could not replace this model as it had been replaced by the more expensive FQ80. I then chose the 9527 to replace it and have been very happy with that. In terms of picture I think either set is excellent if you get a good one. This seems to be the key to buying a TV you are happy with – luck! The one thing better about the Philips for me is the on board sound. The 9527 has an extra output for rear Pro Logic surround as well. I have connected an old hifi amp and some speakers, as I can’t afford a separate audio package at the moment.

3. ryanos

ryanos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I had the 9527 for about a week and i thought it was dreadful for the money the picture left constant 'trails' when motion was present in particular sport and on some dvds. I tried every possible setting to get the tv too my liking including picture control,100hz,pixel+,double lines,sharpness,colour,etc and still could not get a satisfactory picture. Although I have to say the picture on stills was excellent and the standard sound from the Philisp was good I just decided that for £1100 the set was not one i could live with ............oh yeah and the black bars...........and the small matter of it switching itself off when it fancied it!

Anyway after a struggle C*met took the tv back and i bought a 32fx66 from Premierav for £930 inc del and stand and I am well pleased with the set the standard sound is quite good, but i have an amp anyway so its not that crucial the playback on DVD and Sky is stunning and the pip feature is quite handy.Overall very pleased with the set and a word of note whatever set you choose make sure you spend a few quid on scart leads as saving on these will seriously have a negative affect on your viewing

Good luck if in doubt buy from somewhere online or over the phone that way you are covered by the 7 day distance selling rule so you can send the set back if you are unhappy thats what i did with c*met

4. Carl G

Carl G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the help.

I'm pretty set on the 32FX66 now with the sony 720 VCR.

Do most places offer either stand for the TV? or is it worth buying without the slide stand and purchasing the open stand separately? I see http://www.krishav.co.uk/SONY_TV.html have it without stand at £799.

Which Scart cables did you go for Ryanos?

5. ryanos

ryanos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I ended up with the monster video 2 which i was a bit apprehensive about buying due to the fact it was available in currys and c*met but it was a friday night and existing philips scart had fallen too bits after two weeks use .......it wasn't cheap either 20 quid .......so i needed one desperately so i nipped over to currys and parted with 40 notes for a 1m lead and it is fantastic the picture quality is vastly improved, i believe there are better ones to buy like IXOS and QED do a search and check these out but i am pleasd with the monster and feel it's dosh well spent. IMO the open stand looks best and has 2 shelves most places will offer both types the glass fronted one has had some faults as well with door lifting up etc. so best to keep clear of that one