1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony FX66 Problem

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Paul Atreides, Mar 24, 2004.

1. Paul Atreides

Paul Atreides

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Sony KV-28FX66B which displays a contrast problem that is especially annoying when watching 4:3 video. It is screenwide and nothing to do with the contrast setting because I have turned it down to zero and found it still visible. I've made an image to show you what I mean, and can take pictures if that's needed.

Attached Files:

2. Paul Atreides

Paul Atreides

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here's a better example:
    (Not a photograph)

Attached Files:

3. Paul Atreides

Paul Atreides

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    And this is what's irritating me:
    (Not a photograph)

Attached Files:

4. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +721
    I think there's some kind of 'blanking' option somewhere in the service menu which may be set too far over.
    I was fiddling on my old set once and found an option that produced exactly this kind of effect when I fiddled with it.

I'm not much help except to say that I'd guess its not a power supply issue, more something that a knowledgeable service engineer could fix within 2 minutes.

I would advise against having a go yourself though, as some of the options in the serice menu appear to interact with each other and you could really screw up your picture unless you know what you're doing.

5. Paul Atreides

Paul Atreides

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm really sure it's not the matte settings in Geometry or Panorama, because I eliminated those along time ago. And sorry about the transformer bit, I was meaning to edit that out but forgot.

Have you got an FX66?

6. cosaw

cosaw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I think I'd probably agree with Jules. We've got a sony KD32DX40
    and have the opposite problem. It's probably not a problem it's just the way the sets are set up. On our set there is too much blanking right and left: 4:3 is not 4:3 it's more like 3.5:3, I find this equally anoying as I'd prefer to watch the whole broadcast in its full aspect ratio without zooming etc.

By the way is this just on monkey ball, or broadcasts as well? Some video games have these quirks you know.

cosaw

7. Paul Atreides

Paul Atreides

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry, I haven't been clear enough have I. :suicide:

This problem occurs when there is a light area next to a dark area, the edges of the 4:3 mode are just an example I chose. It can happen anywhere on screen and in any mode, video source does not affect it either.

I made the graphics myself and used Monkey Ball to illustrate the problem, it's from the web although I do own it aswell.

You can adjust the 4:3 mode in the service menu. If you haven't used this before make sure you read about it, and write down any settings before you change them.

8. Paul Atreides

Paul Atreides

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Right, now that I've cleared that up, I can tell you that it does not affect the user menu (OSD) or Teletext. This means it can probably be fixed in the service menu, as both of these are not affected by the user menu (color/contrast ect...). Basically something's not set right in the digital processor.

If you know what the setting is, please help, thanks.

9. cosaw

cosaw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Sorry I can't help any further, however I can confirm that Teletext and menus do seem to function independently of any picture. Had an old sony which you could still use teletext and on screen displays with but you could not obtain a picture.

Depends what you want I suppose, a swap or someone fiddling around with your new set. Have you phoned Sony, it might be a common easy fix fault. If you'r not happy with the tv in other respects then it would seem a swap is better than having someone fiddle (especially inside).

cosaw