1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony FX65 v LS60

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by RAC, Apr 30, 2002.

1. RAC

RAC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was unlucky enough to a) have a Sony widescreen 100hz TV that worked perfectly (the KV-32FX65) AND b) to have had it knicked with a whole lot of other stuff by some thieving s*ds a couple of weeks ago. :mad:

Having done 15 days without TV to prove that we can do it, it's time to get another one. Unfortunately, insurance in Belgium doesn't do new for old, so I'm having to trim the sails a bit.

I can buy another FX65 for €1289 or I can get an LS60 for €1250. I'm guessing that the LS60 is a newer model because I'm having trouble finding any differences in the specs between them, apart from the fact the LS60 has got two RGB scarts over the FX's one. But experience tells me that new models don't come cheaper without a reason. Could anyone enlighten me please? I guess that could include must view models of similar specs/ prices from other manufacturers too.... ;) Many thanks.

2. jonnyv

jonnyv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    Ive just bought an LS60, Mainly for the 2 RGB scarts..Its a fantastic tv (im no expert) , Picture is excellent and comes with a decent stand (unlike the fx65).

No problems at all

3. M.Joshi

M.Joshi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I don't think the LS60 is 100Hz.

4. jonnyv

jonnyv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    YES..The LS60 IS 100HZ

5. M.Joshi

M.Joshi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Sorry, I got confused with the LS35!

6. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    The new version of the set you had stolen is the KV-32FX66.
    Also two RGB inputs, same horrible stand as before, but compared to the LS60 it has 100hz Digital Plus, rather than basic 100hz. It also has a new feature to help you find your remote if you misplace it, Remote Locator.
    I would buy the KV-32LS60, mainly because I prefer the stand.

7. M.Joshi

M.Joshi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Is the LS60 available in the U.K?

8. RC

RC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mmm, I don't need a stand as I have a lovely Soundstyle stand to match my hifi kit. (Can you believe the stupidity of these thieves - they knick my TV and DVD, but leave my TAG AV32R behind!)

Also, I have not seen an FX66 out yet and I have in mind that they won't be around for some months to come, so that kind of rule them out as an option, but I do think I can get my hands on an LS60 straight away.

Err, anyway, the differences I have surmised so far between the FX65 and the LS60 are:

LS60 does not have Advanced 100hz (although the Sony Europe website seems to suggest the LS60 does in fact have Advanced 100Hz Digital Plus), it weights 2 kgs less but uses 7w more in operation (the question being, why?).
    The LS60 has Auto Noise Reduction (not sure if the FX65 does)
    It has Virtual Dolby (FX65?)
    BBE Sound (what is that, and does the FX65? and who cares really!)
    The LS60 only has memory for 250 teletext pages compared to 2000 on the FX65
    and of course, 2 of it's scart plugs are RGB compatible compared with one on the FX65

Basically, I'm sure there must be some greater differentiation between the two apart to account for weight differences, power consumption etc. But I can't work out what it is. Anyone else could enlihten me please? Many thanks.

9. jonnyv

jonnyv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    The Ls60 Is 100hz..acording to your sony link...

BBE is 'BBE high definition sound system' manufactured by sony under license from bbe sound inc. It is supposed to 'enhance clarity,detail and presence of sound.

10. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    M.Joshi,
    Sony KV-LS60 in UK shops right now.

11. RAC

RAC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ah well, I've gone ahead and made my purchase and will take delivery of the LS60 on the Saturday morning. Obviously when I get it, I'll be able to give a bit more feedback on this new model and make a comparison with the older one..... if anyone's interested of course.

I've bought a Sony DVPNS900 DVD/ SACD player to go with it.

12. fwan

fwan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just thought you might like to know about Sony's reliabilty. Please refer to my post on my main thread.

fwan

13. jonnyv

jonnyv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    This Sony stuff is all a bit one sided, i bought a sony kv32sl60 last week..the TV is excellent..

Great picture..great sound...Very happy with it...

14. Johnny Mensa

Johnny Mensa
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Could you let me know where you brought them from and how much, as this is the TV I am interested in at the moment.

Thanks

15. jonnyv

jonnyv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
  16. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    RAC,

How are you getting on with your LS60? Any scrolling bars or other problems? Would be interested in seeing that review you promised us all :D

Cheers

17. RAC

RAC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the warning fwan - but I have read (and posted to your that mega-thread). Well, what can I say, two excellent Sony TV's in one year; no problems, either time. Is this a record?

The LS60 cabinet looks very different to the FX65 I had before (liberated from my possession by a couple of thieves who I hope now have herniated discs) and seems to have been styled to be a bit more 'modern'. The FX65 was very square whereas the LS60 has rounded sides and front fascia. There is an all new remote-control which feels a little more plasticky(sp?) in your hand, but the lighter weight is a plus IMO.

But this is all peripheral info - what is the image like? Well, quite excellent. No geometry issues, discolouration or such like to report. Only clear, crisp and vivid colours. Setup was a doddle. I'm not sure that the BBE sound adds much to the system but the integral speakers are OK - DVDs or sport are listened to through the AV processor anyway. I'd definitely put this on a short list of TVs to buy again, if I needed to. I'm happy to answer any specific questions.

18. M.Joshi

M.Joshi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    RAC --> Were the other new stands available when you purchased the LS60?

19. RAC

RAC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry, stands never entered into it as I made it clear I already have my own Soundstyle stands.

20. jlett

jlett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    RAC,
    As your Sony seems problem free, can you post your address so I can steal it ;-)

In return, I'll leave my naff FQ75...

Seriously though, you say no geometry/scrolling bar issues. What about focus/convergence?

21. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a very minor focus/convergence issue with mine... Nothing that bothers me. Full details here if you're interested.

22. RAC

RAC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jlett - I know it seems hard to believe, but I am almost entirely happy with my Sony TV. My previous FX65 model had a slight mis-focus issue on the LH side, but it was only really obvious when you were watching titling coming out of a DVD, so I think I am discerning and can spot problems when they are there. The LS60 seems to have good colour purity, the goemetry is fine, no scrolling bars, convergence and focus are good to. The only thing I don't like about it (and this is a picky minor point), is that the standby power LED is too bright when the TV is off. :eek:

23. jlett

jlett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Squirrel God/RAC,
    Thanks for info/reviews. Seems this may be set for me. All I need to do now is get Sony Centre to refund my FQ75...

24. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Actually, that's one feature I really like - reminds to turn the set off fully before I go to bed :D

I also like the fact that there is no light displayed when the TV is on. This has always struck me as a very stupid feature on TVs - I don't need a light to tell me the TV is on, I can see the damn thing is on from the picture being displayed!!!!

25. Johnny Mensa

Johnny Mensa
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just a quick question can you switch between 100Hz and 50Hz, as I heard watching football is not too good under a 100Hz.

Cheers

26. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No you can't, but it doesn't need it - football looks great from what I've seen so far :)

The problems reported with football matches and 100Hz sets are often nothing to do with the set itself, but rather to do with the quality of the broadcast! Also, its to do with the settings - people often use all the digital extras they get with their TV and this causes the reported problems.

27. rashomon

rashomon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Squirrel,

Further to my current predicament - i.e. keep the JVC or replace with an LS60 ...

What would you say if I could get the LS60 (without stand - which I dont need anyway) for £480 or the LS35 for £400!!!

It would be from a friend who works for Sony - it's a graded model - i.e. the box it comes in may be damaged but the TV is in perfect working order and a years guarantee is thrown in as well. I'd have to consider a D&G warranty on top if I went for this option though.

Talk about spoilt for choice! ...

Also, how are you finding the following :

Sharpness - I saw a display model and the 100hz is clearly not as clean around the edges as the 50 hz LS35 or the JVC for that matter - is this something that is noticeable/bothering you on your set?

Contrast - is true black rendered well?

Sound - obviously not as good as the JVC but how does it fare now that you've had it a few days?

I know I'm asking you to repeat stuff and I have read all the reviews on this model (including yours) already.

Yours undecidedly,

Rashomon

28. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    LS60 for £480??????!!!!!!!!! GET IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (I just hope there is nothing wrong with these sets however and that is why Sony are selling them cheap!)

Forget the LS35 - it doesn't have as good a picture IMO, plus it only has 1 RGB socket, the sound is not as powerful (it's 10W less), and AFAIK it doesn't have the contrast thingy that keeps lines straight during bright pictures (which I mentioned in my review on the other thread).

Shame about the stand though. I really love it. It compliments the set really well!

I can only presume that the display model you saw was not set up correctly (but what's new there huh?) The picture on the LS60 is as sharp as a pin IMO. It's truly incredible to me how clear and so well focused everything is! The edges seem cleaner and clearer than on the LS35 from what I have seen of the LS35. I know that turning on the DNR on the LS60 causes the picture to look soft (as the noise reduction does on your JVC), so probably it was that (it's set to ON by default).

Are you kidding me??? It's a Sony Trinitron tube for gawd's sake!! True black is rendered beautifully!!! As are all dark shades (unlike the JVC!) and all colours. You would have to wear your sunglasses while watching the LS60 for the first few days though because you will not be used to the brightness after your dark days with the JVC :D ;)

Now I have had a chance to really listen to this set, I have to say it sounds much CLEARER than on the JVC. The JVC sounded muffled to me in comparison. Obviously, there is not as much bass, but you said the sound sounded better when you turned the bass down on the JVC anyway! Having said this, there is a good amount of bass on the Sony and it does have a subwoofer but it's not as powerful as the JVC's (14W RMS I think). The surround sound does a brilliant job for me (Virtual Dolby). I'm very happy with the sound - it's exactly what I was looking for in terms of built in sound.

29. SweeJ

SweeJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hie, I'm new to the whole home theatre set-up, and I was looking for a flat widescreen TV.

Thanks to this forum, I've managed to avoid the JVC AV28T25 that I had intended to purchase. I finally decided to go for the Sony 32LS60 (a huge blow to my bank account!!). I really hope it's worth the money I'm forking out - €1649 ie. ~ £1000

I'm looking forward to receive it tomorrow, and I'll post a review of it once I get it.

30. SweeJ

SweeJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    BTW, Squirrel God/rashomon/RAC,

Do you have any scrolling bar problems with this model? What exactly is this scrolling bar problem anyway? I did a search and I still can't understand what I'm supposed to look out for.

P/S This TV is going to be great watching World Cup matches!