1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony FS76 owners....

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Manuman, Feb 17, 2003.

1. Manuman

Manuman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can one of you guys please post the values you have in the deflection menu (in the service menu)please?

all 22 of them.

It would help me out enormously.

2. Bam

Bam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Check this link

Deflection Service Menu

It doesn't give any specific values but describes what each setting does from 0 to 17

I know from a previous thread that the AFC Angle should be about 25 to 27 (It is factory set to 31), RGB Shift -10 and rotation -1 or -2.

Hope this helps

3. Manuman

Manuman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Bam, but i really need the specific values from another fs76 as a reference guide.

4. Bam

Bam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thought I would bump this to the front again

Come on people!! Can nobody be arsed spending 10 minutes writing down a few numbers??

mh66639 & cdave, you both have virtual perfection on you FS76's so would you both mind responding to this post...please?

5. cdave

cdave
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just seen the thread. Sorry, it is not that I cannot be "arsed", I have already replied on the matter with an explanation. It is virtual perfect and I want it to stay that way! Check one out in Currys.;)

6. Manuman

Manuman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Fair enough CDave, although i can assure you, it would be extremely hard to reset things by accident in your service menu as you are actually asked section by section if you are sure you want to change anything. Contributing to threads like this would be a good gesture, im sure you will need someones help on here sooner or later mate.

Ive actually been into Currys and wrote down pretty much everything in the Service Menu, (took me about 20mins)which helped, but it would be nice to have a few references to correct values rather than just one.

7. Bam

Bam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are you going to post the settings that you noted in Currys?

At least its a start and something we can compare to anyone who posts their perfect settings.

8. Manuman

Manuman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes Bam, ill do it later.

9. cdave

cdave
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for that Manuman. I thought I had contributed a fair amount to your original post but it now appears I am being unhelpful because I will not risk messing my set up even though it is hard to do apparenlty. As a further contribution, always write down original values before making adjustments. Anyway, at least you now have some values through my suggestion. I hope they work for you.

10. ScottyToo

ScottyToo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Well after reading that I could get rid of my DRC100 based horizontal lines, I braved the service window and made my adjustments and it is now great!

Therefore as way of putting back into this helpful forum, here are my 22 deflection values ;) :

23 (was 31)
    28 (was 29)

11. Tommo24

Tommo24

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am learning the ropes with my FS76 setup. I finally got my third FS76 today (after two previous faulty ones).

The picture seems very good but can someone explain about the deflection set-up please?

What does it represent and how do I achieve an alteration if required?

Regards and thanks

Tom

12. Manuman

Manuman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nice one ScottyToo for taking the time out to contribute as the values you posted have helped me a lot.

heres the values from a set in my local Currys, although they are way out for my own TV though, (the Vertical and Horizontal size are set too high for my screen)which is why i needed another reference.

@ScottyToo, any chance you could post some of the other values on your set, like Backend, Ext.Deflection, Dynamic Convergence and Colour Decoder 1&2 as well?

Threads like these will undoubtedly help those whose settings are not quite right as they give an idea of the range of values for each setting.

13. ScottyToo

ScottyToo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Here's the others that I did at the same time (One of the menus had 122 settings :eek: )
    If you are really stuck I would try the values in the first column i.e. the defaults but I know nothing at all about these TVs so at your own risk ;)

Backend

Ext. Deflection

Scotty.

14. Manuman

Manuman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Scottytoo, you are now my hero.

The values youve posted have pretty much returned my TV to its former glory before i did a factory reset to try and solve my original problem.

*telepathically makes scottytoo post the other values in the service menu too*

:smoke:

15. ScottyToo

ScottyToo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I typed all the values into my Psion.

TBH I can't be ar4ed to re-type them all. When I go back to work I'll connect it up and up link it.

I also noted all the ones that were non-default to speed up your process.

Scotty

16. Bam

Bam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Scotty your a good un'

CDave.. I wouldn't suggest you have been unhelpful...far from it actually, Just that you and mh66639 were the only two names I could remember. You have contributed massively but there are others who I am sure read this forum without putting anything back (based on the fact that hundreds of people are ordering from John Lewis).

If you don't want to risk messing up the settings on your TV then fair enough.. I can understand that totally.:smashin:

Bam

17. Enigma2

Enigma2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've lurked here for ages before I even registered but have never had anything useful to say. I've had my FS76 from the beginning of December and I'm impressed with it especially with good source material. I did occasionally notice horizontal lines as described in the other thread but I simply associated it with lower quality source material as I didn’t notice it on good DVD’s. After reading about lowering my V size I braved the service menu and it seems even better now. Does lowering the V size need the H size to be adjusted too? Am I risking things being slightly squished on screen? It seems OK.

I used the Avia set up DVD to get contrast etc set up to my personal levels. The movie mode is the closest but with sharpness lowered a fair amount and all the others lowered a tiny bit (I don't like too much colour). I watch in DRC 100 as I hate the flicker in the superior, resolution wise, DRC 50 mode. AI is on and I’m experimenting a bit more with noise reduction. I used to only use it on the VHS video source which worked well but after seeing someone else say that it helped with low bitrate channels on Sky D I am putting it on low occasionally and the effect is positive. It is on a case by case basis though rather than on all the time. My sources are a Sky + box, Pioneer 656 DVD player and now my computer with a Hauppauge 350 PVR card connected to the TV via its own S-Video output (it has mpeg decoder on the board). Plus a JVC VHS video but that hardly counts.

I’ve attached some of my service menu settings as a zipped excel file. Note that my geometry is not what I would call perfect as in 4:3 or 14:9 mode the black bars are not straight. There is slight slant at the top but I'm not sure what to adjust to deal with it. With the exception of two settings everything is as factory set. If you try adjusting the V size make sure you test a NTSC DVD as you may get a blue line at the top of the screen so you'll need to adjust V position to get rid of it. When I first came here I used to say I'll never get as obsessive about service menus and geometry as "those people". How wrong I was. :laugh:

The deflection options are
    29 now 25
    31 now 32

More are in the file

Attached Files:

18. Manuman

Manuman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Excellent post mate, thanks for your time and effort. im just off to check my settings against yours.

Anyone feel like posting the Colour decoder 1 & 2 values?

19. ScottyToo

ScottyToo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    If no one does in the next 12 hours then I'll do them tomorrow.;)

20. mh66639

mh66639
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    If you want any more I'd be happy to post.

Sorry I missed your thread; I've been away for a while.

Matt

21. Manuman

Manuman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The more the merrier mate, it all helps.

Btw, where can i obtain this Avia test disc thingy, and how much is it?

22. Rookies

Rookies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +344
    Could do with some FQ80 settings ;) to compare. But what I have not that bad at all really just always fancy to get it even better lol. I tried all these settings on here and they are no good at all for my FQ80

23. Enigma2

Enigma2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got mine from Ebay and paid £23 which is close to what you'd pay new for it but I wanted it quickly. You should be able to get it from most r1 retailers but watch out for customs since it is over the £18 limit. Amazon.com has it in stock at £24 but could get caught by customs. DVDboxoffice avoid customs but if it's not in stock (you can't tell from the site) you might be waiting months.

All of the colour decoder settings on my TV matched the default values.

24. Bam

Bam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can get the Avia Guide to Home Theatre from various places, the cheapest I've seen it is about £25 import from US

Alternatively you can get The Ultimate DVD Platinum from Australia for £13.51 (delivered to UK) - a bargain!

Use This to find the best price

Bam

25. Manuman

Manuman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Your settings would help if you could post them too mate.

26. astonbilla

astonbilla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    im really beginning to think my FS76 is very dodgy.

The image quality is ok, but really not that hot. Its very grainy too, but the most annoying thing happens all the time. If a dark object moves on screen it has a bright shadow going the whole way accross the screen?? One example is the obi wan and anakin duel with dooku. When anakin runs he has a bright shadow coming off him (crap terms i know), then when dooku lifts his hand this too has a shadow.

Basically anything really dark on a darkish background causes it. Also as ive mentioned before, i have 2 horizontal shadows that appear on screen if the camera pans quickly up or down.

I had a 9607 before this set and the image seemed better. At the moment i have a JVC avr25 in the second room and even it seems better.

I have been waiting since before Christmas for a replacement from unbeatable and as yet nothing, i might get a refund and go for something else.

Any ideas?

27. Manuman

Manuman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, id be tempted to have a tinker in your service menu, Of course you should first write down all your settings, and then post them in this thread :), before changing anything.

I dont really know what to recommend you change in your service menu as im not too well versed on Tvs, perhaps someone who does may be able to offer some advice.

28. Bam

Bam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To date, from feedback on the forum I have identified 3 main problems with this set:

1. Some have buzzing problem but this can be solved by replacing a part as described by mh66639.

2. Some have blocks/lines/waves on dark scenes as described by Rox.

3. All TV's (not just Sony) have minor wavey edge problem when showing rectangles containing text as described by AndyChap. The FS76 handles this problem better than others.

It sounds like yours comes into category 2 in which case replacing the set should resolve it because it only affects 'some' sets...pot luck really.

When Unbeatable send you another ask them to send 2 men and try to avoid rolling the TV end on end[​IMG]

Hope you sort it anyway

Bam

29. Manuman

Manuman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, rolling the TV end on end may upset the geometry somewhat, although the TV is dammned heavy (wait til u see just how heavy it is BAM)so it would be easier...:D

30. ScottyToo

ScottyToo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Apologies for setting expectations and breaking them. It's been too busy at work and I'm not in tomorrow.

I'll try again on Thurday to post the menu values.