1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony Freeview Recording Using EPG

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by steves1917, Apr 26, 2005.

1. steves1917

steves1917

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Sony VTXD800U Freeview box connected to a new Sony DVD Recorder. I have got the smartlink working so that I can automatically record a program by selecting the program using the EPG (no need to set up a timer event on the recorder). However, every time I use this function the recorder either misses the start or the end of the program, which renders it next to useless!

For example: last saturday night I set up a recording using the EPG for Match of The Day. The EPG and our paper TV Guide had the start time as 22.20. But when I came to watch the program, it had not started recording until 22.25, thereby missing the first five minutes.

This sort of thing happens every time I use the wretched thing. Any ideas??

Thanks,

Steve Salisbury

2. jaymac

jaymac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +138
    I've never trusted the EPG for the same reasons.Its a pain but I just set the recording manually on the stb, still no need to touch the vcr smartlink still controls
    Jay

3. pa 28 driver

pa 28 driver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Get this sometimes with sky plus so I just alter the daufault to +/- 10 mins at start/end, appreciate you can do a manual would think with yours but rather defeats the link side of things I guess.

4. jaymac

jaymac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +138
    Sonys epg dont cater for +or - it is supposed to do that to allow for overruns etc.,. at least you dont have to set the vcr so part of the link works

5. igauk

igauk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Is the clock on your DVD recorder out? I'm not sure how smartlink works but if it tells the DVD recorder, start recording at 22.20 and the clock is 5 mins out, then you're stuffed. If it just tells the DVD recorder to start recording 'now' then I guess it must be the EPG. Anyway, I'd be interested in hearing if there is a solution as I've got a VTXD800U and I'm thinking about a Smarlink recorder.

6. steves1917

steves1917

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No, the clock is fine. In fact it is set automatically - the recorder picks it up from the TV signal somehow - you can't actually change it!

Having experimented last night, the main problem seems to be that the stb sets the recording start and end times at EXACTLY the times in the EPG, so if the program starts or end at a slightly different time you miss part of it. I've looked thru all the settings - there's no way to get it to start a few minutes earlier (as I hear you can do on SKY+).

I have tried using the manual timer on the stb - this works fine, but really defeats the whole point of the EPG!

7. JohnW14

JohnW14

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's very interesting. Can you confirm that the EPG tells the recorder to start at the time the programme is meant to start, rather than when the Scheduling Information (i.e. the Now programme) changes to what you set it to record?

I know some channels don't keep their Now banner in line with what they are broadcasting, but the BBC are usually very good at allowing for run-overs etc so if the Sony uses the SI information rather than the clock, I'm surprised MoTD didn't work.

If however it uses the clock, presumably this is a fault of the entire Sony range and the freeview DVD recorder is therefore next to useless.

P.S. Just as a technical question has anybody worked out whether the Sony scans the Scheduling Information for the channel you've programmed it to watch for when to start the programme, or whether it scans the SI for the multiplex you last had it tuned to (or indeed whether it scans a default channel). The reason for the question is that whilst the BBC update the SI on their two multiplexes in real-time, the other four multiplexes get their BBC information from a central computer which I understand is only updated daily.