1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony Freeview flicker through PWD6

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by daveb975, Nov 18, 2004.

1. daveb975

daveb975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +275
    I have been running Freeview through my PWD6 for a while now, but have not really used it that much.

I have recently noticed that this input is quite 'flickery', when others are not.

The freeview box is a Sony VTXD800U, and it is running into the SCART socket on the PWD6 through a JS Tech SCART splitter.

I have ascertained the following:

1. It is not the Freeview signal, because this happens on the Sony menus as well.

2. It is not the SCART splitter, as I have tried removing this from the system.

3. It does not appear to be a problem with the SCART board as XBox and PS2 inputs are both fine.

4. I have tried two different SCART leads - QED P2110, and a THOR RGB.

5. The freeview box itself works fine when connected to my 26" Toshiba LCD.

What else can I try?

2. Johnnypanic

Johnnypanic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Strangely enough I have a similar problem, it only seems to be when I first turn on my system.

I had put it down to the js box having to "warm up" to stabilise the signal, as it is always rock solid after the initial warm up.

I'd be interested in any replies to this as I hopefully don't have a faulty js box :confused:

Johnnypanic

3. daveb975

daveb975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +275
    I think that is something different. The output from my JS box is all over the place for a few seconds after turning on the controlled source or switching between sources.

After it settles down, I still have the flickering. It is most noticable on solid blocks of colour or menus.

4. reckless

reckless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Are you sure it only happens on the one input? The reason I ask is that what you are describing sounds to me like the panny flicker that some people seem to notice and others don't. You say that your ps2 and x-box don't display the problem, could that be because you are running games at 60hz, not 50hz?

As a test, if you have pro evo soccer on the ps2, there is an option on there to use 50 or 60hz. One of the first screens on there is almost pure white with black lettering in the middle. Try that on 50 and 60hz and see if you can notice the difference.

Hope this helps until the more knowledgeable members of the forum come along!

5. daveb975

daveb975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +275
    Thanks, but I have tried running my X-Box on 50Hz and 60Hz modes, and cannot see the flickering.

I think that the standard flickering that some people can see affects all inputs including component - mine is totally solid on that.