1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony & Freeview (Digital)

Discussion in 'TVs' started by mdsatherley, Oct 12, 2004.

1. mdsatherley

mdsatherley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Sony 32" (KV-32LS60U) wide screen television and a Thomson DTI 2300. Basically, at least twice a day my Freeview Box freezes and the buttons lock on the handset. The picture will either be black, coloured, mosaic or a frozen still. I have to disconnect from the mains and reset everytime.

I rang Thomson at least 6 times and their engineers have told me, that it is a problem with the transmitted digital signal and not their equipment, because of atmospherics, the signal strength fluctuates and a momentary lapse will cause the freeview box to freeze up. I do not believe this for one minute, because when the whole country goes digital in a few years, the mayhem that this would cause would be unthinkable - everyone having to reset the power to their TV's etc. once or twice a day !

I noticed about a year or so ago, with the Sony TV that when I have teletext on, the set will randomly reset itself and the text has gone. I just accepted it as one of those things and press the text button again. Now, I am wondering if this is anything to do with confliction of software issues between Sony and the Digital Box. (The idea of a software confliction was discussed on my local BBC Radio Bristol station but no solution given)

Finally, I originally tried a Panasonic digital box last year and that froze up daily, so I took it back for a full refund and thought I would stick with normal television. When I read about the new Thomson DTI 2300 box being released this year, I thought I would give it a try as a digital picture is brilliant. Maybe it is the Sony TV. I really wish I knew.

:lease:

2. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    I've got a a Phillips 1500 and its never frozen once. I do get a problem when going up and down the channels were the screen goes blank but if i press the numbers its cool.

Gary

3. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Sounds like a signal problem

1) How old is the aerial?

2) Which TX are you using?

3) Are there any othe TXs which could analogue swamp the digital signal?

4. mdsatherley

mdsatherley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have connected my Freeview Digital box to a second TV, (Matsui) and for over 24 hours there has not been a problem. The picture is top quality and the text is fine and not jumpy or failing.

Both TV's are fed from the same digital aerial, (about 8 months old and recommended by the aerial federation). The aerial has a booster attached and I am even more convinced that it is not a signal problem.

What is TX, I am not familiar with that expression ?

5. red16v

red16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I believe he's asking which transmitter are you nearest? regards, yt

6. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings: