1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony Freeview box

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by wizbongre, Nov 22, 2003.

1. wizbongre

wizbongre

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Just got a Sony VTX-D800...

Quite impressed with the sound and picture quality but a lot of the time when I bring up the EPG I just get "No event information" all over the place! Also find that on most channels when I press the text button nothing happens.

Is this to be expected?

2. bobones

bobones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Normal behaviour. Only "Now and Next" information is being broadcast at the moment, but 7-day EPG will start broadcasting early next year. Only BBC has text services on top of normal tv, but there are some additional text only channels.

BTW, there's an over the air software update for the Sony starting on Monday for a week that you should try to catch.

3. wizbongre

wizbongre

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi,

Thanks for the reply... I knew I had read something about the 7-day EPG but couldn't remember the details.

To get the software update do I need to do anything other than leave the unit on?

4. monsieurblack

monsieurblack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    hiya

i'm very interested in the sony freeview box too [vtx-d800] but was wondering roughly how long it had been out and whether we can expect a new version soon-ish? :confused: if a new version is in the works i don't suppose anyone has any idea what kinda new features we could expect do they please?

so to ask such stooopid questions but i don't want to go out n get one, only to find mid-jan/feb time a new one has been announced :eek:

thanks in advance
    monsieurblack

5. bobones

bobones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Check your manual about the update. You need to put some boxes into standby before they automatically download it.

MonsieurBlack, the Sony has only been out a couple of months. It is one of the best freeview boxes around and won't be replaced for a while yet. It's about as good a box as you can get. Perhaps the Pioneer at £80 from Richer Sounds is better value.

6. monsieurblack

monsieurblack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    hiya bobones :)

thanks for the reply. yeah i thought that might be the case but just wasn't 100% sure of when it was released. as you say, the sony does seem about the best atm so i'm really tempted to go ahead and get it...well, as soon as i've paid off my credit card bill with the tv amongst other stuff on there! :eek:

thanks again
    monsieurblack

7. Loki101

Loki101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So if you watched the news or Eastenders on BBC tonight you will probably already have it. Put the box into standby and out again and you should be running the new version.