Sony FQ80 -> too much colour

K

k0rn

Hi!

I own a FQ80 which totally rocks. Except that I feel that faces of people have to much colour.

So I´d like to adjust the colour settings a little bit, shouldn´t be a problem. I´m using the "film/movie" (dunno how it´s called in the UK) mode, because it gives me the best results.

In order to change the settings for color, I have to use the "User"-mode or any other mode that lets me change the color-setting.

Problem is, that only the film/movie mode (where you can only change contrast) delivers a good picture. When I try to adjust my TV using the user-mode (with the same settings as in film/movie mode), I always get a picture that is too sharp and noisy..

Any idea? I´ve set everything to the same settings as in film-mode...

I too thought there is far too much chroma signal in the avaiavblr Sony presets. The reason that user mode shows such a crappy picture is that it has SVM (scanning velocity modulation set to full), movie has none. I use the game preset ( which hads minimal SVM) and then went into service mode , color decoder 1 and reduced both the chroma & luma signal levels.
Mine are now set to chroma 75 and luma to 81. This , for me, gives an outstanding picture

Originally posted by wibble
I too thought there is far too much chroma signal in the avaiavblr Sony presets. The reason that user mode shows such a crappy picture is that it has SVM (scanning velocity modulation set to full), movie has none. I use the game preset ( which hads minimal SVM) and then went into service mode , color decoder 1 and reduced both the chroma & luma signal levels.
Mine are now set to chroma 75 and luma to 81. This , for me, gives an outstanding picture

Thanks for the valueable input.... I think I´ve found the settings you´re refering to: "Y Lev" and "C Lev", right?

These are set to 102/108 at the moment.

Yeap, you've got it !

Unfortunately, the long & short of this is that there isn't. You can diable SVM in the backend portion of the service menu but that does not change anything in user mode. I suspect that it lies in the e-eprom on the main board. You can investigate its table contents but short of ripping it out, decoding and re-programmig it, I am afraid we are stuck with Sonys interpretation of what these modes should default to. As long as you don't mind the default contrast setting in game or movie mode then use one of these and alter the colour & brightness using the service menu :rolleyes:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom