1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony FQ80 -- *Any* reviews available? (FQ80 vs 9617)

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by digitalsauce, Dec 20, 2002.

1. digitalsauce

digitalsauce
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have to make a decision quite soon whether or not to buy a Philips 9617 or the Sony FQ80. The problem for me is that I have seen countless 'wonderful' reviews in various magazines on the 9617 but I have yet to see one single review of the Sony FQ80. -- I wonder if any of you have seen a review, maybe on a none-english website, .. or a general comparision between the 9617 and the FQ80 from those who have used the two? (no real info on a comparision could be found on this forum) ..

Any help would be most helpful . . the 'buzzing' and the geometry issues mentioned have slightly put me off the FQ80 .. but I'm sure it can't be that bad, can it? .. I would have thought the FQ80 would have been that bit better than the Philips, being the newer set, etc..

Oh, someone please help -)

Thanks for your time ..

2. slamakn

slamakn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just to let you know, that I own the FQ75 and have done for 2 years now. It is an excellent set and I have had no problems with it whatsoever. It has a the best picture quality I have seen with my Sony 735 DVD player & IXOS cable running RGB. There are enough features on it to keep me amused (particulary picture-&-picture where my mate can come over with his Xbox, link it to mine and not have to worry about 2 TV's!). I have had no geometry problems, but have to confess that there is a slight buzzing noise, but only audable if you have the TV on mute and you have to be listening out for it to hear it (or you're sitting behind the set!!).

The FQ80 is the new version with all the features of mine, plus an extra RGB scart (i'm jealous!), redesigned look and a slot for Sony's memory stick (presumably to view digital images without having to connect a camera to it (neat!)). The FQ75 was Home Entertainments TV of the year a couple of years back, so there is no reason why the FQ80 isn't as good, although as you say, I have not seen a review for it yet. I feel that unless a manufacturer releases a totally new product and not just a revised unit (as the FQ80 is), magazines don't seem to want to review it - strange! Anyway, I would definately recommend the FQ80 based on my experience with the 75, but then I haven't really seen the Philips. I watch DVD's, Laserdiscs, Videos, SKY Digital, mini DV recordings and play games through it and all are excellent quality with sharp, crystal clear images mainly due to the fabulous DRC technology that it incorporates. 1 downside though.....it weighs a bloody ton and requires at least 2 people to lift it!!

Enjoy shopping!! :D

3. evans

evans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    digitalsauce

Im in the same boat as you, Im waiting for some reviews of the fq80 but just know of the problems with some fuzzy sceen with the teletex and the buzzing problems. The picture is pretty good of the people who own them though. I havent seen one yet to give first hand opinion. They are more expensive than the phillips and I dont think they have the dolby 5.1 that the 32pw9617 has.

I have seen dvd in the showroom and was really impressed with the 32pw9617 , remember one scene of gladiator where he goes to pick up the sword and the picture was so detailed and clear it was really impressive. Also saw shrek and durasik park scenes which where quite impressive too. It comes to personal opinion but the picture I saw with an average dvd player was great to say the least.

Of course these dvds where from the philips promo and their not going to show you anything that looks bad of course. But I've heard of artifacts (shimmering) showing up on fast moving scenes where the camera is panning. But one guy on this forum told me it is like a few seconds on a two hour movie. But dvd does look amazing on this set and I think I will get it if the price falls a bit.
    Also the sound is on the load side (110w). Unfortunately Im a bit pessemistic about the build quality of the philips vs the sony that has a reputation for good stuff.

hope this helped a bit (also dont count on the reviews go out and take your dvd and check them both out to see which ones suites your needs. But your first aim should be to get the best picture quality.

evans

4. digitalsauce

digitalsauce
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    evans:

Thanks for the info .. I decided to just go with my gut feeling and ordered the 9617 (delivered next Tuesday), especially after reading the unanimously favourable reviews [listed below].. and seeing it in action too. I just don’t think that the FQ80 would get the same level of consistent high-markings as the 9617.. and either way, both sets seem to have good and bad points, so it all boils down to the “little things” that sway you one way or the other. PixelPlus is not without its problems, but the underlying fact is that when it works it works well it seems. The “buzzing” sound would drive me mad on the FQ80 and I would almost certainly be one of the few who ended up with it in full force.. !

PDF Reviews found for 9617

WhatVideoTV

MediaTotaal

HiFiTest

WhatHiFi

HomeCinemaChoice

LesAnneesLaser

MedialTotaal2

EssentialHomeCinema

CinemaChezSoi

AFDigitalProvaVideo

5. Sarge

Sarge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    fuzzy teletext? its as sharp as a sharp thing on a clear day! even with a standard scart cable is was very crystal clear - then chucked a decent cable on from keene-elec and its absolutely razor sharp - easy to read even at this time of the night when my eyes are knackered.

i'm extrememly happy with my fq80 which I waited for after trying a philips tv with PP in the summer -

6. evans

evans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Glad to see you have made a chose I am waiting for the price to fall a little and make a move after christmas probably for the philips after watching the dvd playback. Plus the fact that your getting 5.1 digital and sourround speakers it sounds pretty good to me.

Another point for me is the fact that the other tvs are very bulky compared to the philips at the back. You should see the toshiba and panasonic (huge) unless you got the space but my room is small and I need every cm!!

anyway good luck

I was asking a few questions on the dvd forum about what to match it with and asked a few ingnorant questions. Like would progressive scan dvd be any help to the picture or one with component. But was told since the philips doesnt have either just match it with a the 634 philips and it would be quite good

anyway good luck (please let me know what you think about it)

evans